Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 04-04-2007, 10:05 AM

Default 5CD MTT: End game strategy

Hi,

I would like to know if there are useful articles, books or threads available that deal with 5CD MTT.

I just finished 8th in another Stars' 5CD MTT (First 6s paid). It is kinda frustrating because I do well in every tournament and often take over the lead at some point but then, in the end, I can't even get into the money.

I don't believe that it is simply misfortune, in the same way I don't believe it is just luck that I usually make it this far. But I rather think at some point (usually the 400/800 level), I lose control of the game and play poorly. Either too tightly, or too loose when on tilt.
How come it only happens in the final stages of a tournament that my Pre-Draw Aces-Up lose to larger Aces-Up (Discard 3), whereas I suck out with my trips over a flush and make my full house at the 25/50 Level? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Any help on how to play the final level in a 5CD MTT would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy
Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: 5CD MTT: End game strategy

It's important to keep a viable stack in these games. To be able to play more than a push-n-pray game, you need to be able to be in a position to make a normal sized raise, have enough of a stack to get people to lay down hands, and to be able to get away from your marginal hands if someone comes over the top. Too many players get whittled away when the blinds get large (and often the tables get down to 4 or 5 handed as well) and either get forced to play for their chips with a weak hand or get their money in with a decent hand but get knocked out when someone in a blind wakes up with a good hand or is willing to take a shot at outdrawing you and knocking you out because you don't have any chips left to make them fold after the draw.

Yeah, it's a balancing act between being aggressive but not being loose to the point of recklessness. I feel it's very important to figure out how the 2 players to your left react to various raises (min-raise, 3xBB, pot), since these will be the main players that you will try to steal from. If they are tight, min-raise and steal until they fight back, then back down unless you have the goods. If they always defend with weak pairs and draws, then expand your raising range and make them call bigger raises and exploit their calling station ways. If they are LAGgy and resteal, don't be afraid to make a stand with a so-so hand; while you can easily muck two pair against some players, AA can be a hand to go to the mat with late against some of the LAGgies. And don't get outdrawn or coolered [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM

I love these tournies.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:33 AM

Thanks for your reply, Tom.

You probably don't know (I play under a different name on Stars than I post here) but the exact "scenario" happened in a MTT in which we spend some time on the same table.
I joined the table as the chipleader of the tournament by a decent amount (you were in the upper 3rd but still far behind).
As the blinds increased I was becoming poorer and poorer, whereas your chipcount stagnated, if not slightly improved. I finished 10th or something and you were still in and doing OK.
That's why your input is highly appreciated and I'm sure it can help improve my play.

As you correctly said many players don't know when to get rid of their hands as soon as the blinds are large. I definitely fall into this category. I have absolutely no problem folding a hand like Kings-Up after-draw or 3 Kings (to a pat hand) while the blinds are still small and not much is committed to the pot. As soon as there are several thousands in each pot that has at least 3 players, it is a lot harder for me to lay down even 2 low pair. I basically "know" I am beat but I don't want to risk giving away ~4000 chips to a missed flush draw or non-improved aces.

I think I am not a decent player in the "survival mode" (yet).