Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Default I Don\'t S\'pose Anyone\'s Watching The Nabisco...

...but Morgan Pressel appears to have totally exposed (for want of a better word) the disastrous job that's been done with Michelle Wie's career development. Not that the Wie's care, w/$50 million in the bank, but still.

Of course, Morgan DID get a little help from Annika's no-show, Ochoa's quad yesterday, Creamer's frontside 40 today, Pak's brainfarts, and Petterson's Van De Veldian performance from the moment she walked on 15 tee w/a three shot lead.

Morgan does seem very cocky at best, but give her her due. She came up step by step, won everything at every level, and 74-72-70-69 is damn good at any major.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: I Don\'t S\'pose Anyone\'s Watching The Nabisco...

the question i'm begging to ask is, how many of you guys would hit morgan pressel? she seems to have those chubby arms.

is she really that cocky? her win is a huge slap in the face for michelle. we'd all think michelle would be the youngest to win ever...guess not
Old 04-01-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the question i'm begging to ask is, how many of you guys would hit morgan pressel? she seems to have those chubby arms.

is she really that cocky? her win is a huge slap in the face for michelle. we'd all think michelle would be the youngest to win ever...guess not

[/ QUOTE ]

She is pretty cocky.

She deserves to win after getting luckboxed out of last year's win (her opponent, whose name I can't remember, half-sculls her bunker shot on 18 into the hole for the win).

It doesn't affect Wie. Wie is still two years younger, has more money and more upside. She doesn't have the drive that Pressel does though (imho) and will need it to win majors and top Pressel/Creamer/Sorenstam in the future.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She is pretty cocky.

She deserves to win after getting luckboxed out of last year's win (her opponent, whose name I can't remember, half-sculls her bunker shot on 18 into the hole for the win).

It doesn't affect Wie. Wie is still two years younger, has more money and more upside. She doesn't have the drive that Pressel does though (imho) and will need it to win majors and top Pressel/Creamer/Sorenstam in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of things did she say that made her look cocky? i'm curious? Michelle is injured and needs to get her act together. She has gotten progressively worse since 14-15.
Michelle is also 17, I believe turning 18 sometime soon, since she's graduating high school.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:34 PM

tdk,

Pressel just has a bad rep. I don't remember the many incidences specifically but she was known as a brat. Not surprising since her name is "Morgan". Aint no Morgans in the hood, LDO.

I skipped a round of golf to watch this and also the Suns totally pozz the Mavericks. When she was up three with four to go I was wishing for that Swedish broad to cough up a couple of strokes to make things interesting, but then felt really bad when they showed her on #18 after she had coughed up one too many.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Morgan Pressel has a huge chip on her shoulder regarding Michelle Wie. It is blatantly obvious that Pressel thinks Wie is an overrated P.O.S. and has stolen media attention and tons of endorsement dollars from her.

She is a pretty damn good player, though, and she's not going to roll over and let Wie be the player of their generation. Morgan does seem to take luckboxing a win (today) MUCH better than getting luckboxed (that US Open a few years ago when Birdie Kim stole the trophy with a ridiculously lucky bunker shot).
Old 04-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Thought I was the only one watching. Pressel and Wie could be a very entertaining rivalry. Wie probably has more raw talent, but Pressel's academic credentials could translate to lots of good decisions on the golf course.

According to the Junior Golf site, Pressel scored 790 in math on her SATs. No disrespect to Wie, but I'm not sure Michelle could even count to 790.

Pressel is probably best known for her fiery temper, which can be either a good or bad thing depending on her ability to control and channel it.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cocky may have been a bit harsh, but she always has been extremely outgoing, driven & self-confident. And she probably was a bit spoiled by her grandparents tho she is/was a prodigy.

And one can't underestimate the effects her mother's illness & death, and her subsequent estrangement from her father, have had on her.

I have read where Morgan has said she's making a strong effort to become more "sponsor-friendly". And she was all smiles & graciousness today.

After the US Open two years ago, she was a crybaby after the Birdie Kim miracle, and she did talk smack about Wie. Remember, Wie started that Sunday in the lead and posted a sterling, tigerish 80.

No question, Pressel's bitter over the attention & money Wie's gotten, but that disparity will likely be changing soon. Today was just a huge slap/challenge for Michelle. Huge fuel dump on the backlash fire.

I wouldn't really call this win a luckbox. Tiger's won a number of tourneys just this way. 70-69 on the weekend, tied for low round of the day Sunday, no bogeys her last 25 holes, made a ten foot birdie putt on 18. Petterson's choke was no surprise, but Pak's & Creamer's sure were.

In some ways this win resembles Ben Curtis' win at the British, although Pressel is obvo a much more well known quantity than he was.

Morgan did look noticeably fitter than in the past (as did most of the women, and props to them all), but yes, pushups are going to need to be lifetime part of her agenda, to fight those arms.

Hit it? 18 years & 10 months, no parents, big win & paycheck and ready to party, FTW.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Morgan did look noticeably fitter than in the past (as did most of the women, and props to them all)

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I am just not feeling this at all. Now, they say that TV adds 10 lbs or whatever, so maybe that's the deal. For example, they say Ochoa is like 5'5"/115 lbs or something like that. Those are fine proportions, yet on TV she looks "wide". I'm not trying to inject OOT ratings into this thread, it's just what I see. More specifically, it looks like these chicks have really thick legs, and while the obvious response is "LDO, they need strong legs to hit the ball far", I see plenty of female tennis players whose legs I find quite pleasing.

The only chick near the leaderboard today that I found remotely pleasing is Paula Creamer. I enjoy looking at her. Also, Stacy Pramanandasunahnd isn't too bad looking but should consider changing her name for marketing purposes. Kids are less likely to follow or emulate athletes whose names they can neither spell nor pronounce.

Oh yeah, and as I'll no doubt mention in the upcoming Masters thread, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Verne Lundquist. NFL in the fall, then March Madness followed by anchor of an LPGA event and 16th green at Augusta next week. Dude has serious range and is good at every job he's given. Plus he's like ninety years old.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, she is famous, so...