Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Phil Gordon Says Bluff Magazine Best in Industry. WTF??!!

I was over at ESPN Radio.com last night listening to the latest (3/28/07) edition of Phil Gordons radio show, The Poker Edge. He interviewed Eric Morris the co-owner of Bluff Magazine.

Phil said a number of times that Bluff was the "best poker magazine on the market" and "best poker magazine in the industry." Are you kidding me?? Cardplayer is MUCH BETTER than Bluff.

When you read Cardplayer there are always a number of well written technical articles on poker that can help you improve your game, rather than a bunch of stupid poker foolishness. But what about Bluff?? Here are a few articles that appeared in the January 2007 issue:

--Irrelevent poker backchat,

--Pamela Anderson drops in for a chat,

--Bar Bets: the Perfect Match,

--Poker Like a Rockstar: Antonio Hit Europe,

--Jennifier discovers the seedier side of Sin City,

and so it goes, all the issue are like this. Even when they attempt to do a technical article the caliber is usually low and not even close to that of Cardplayer. And no, I have nothing to do with Cardplayer....but lets get real, Cardplayer is BY FAR the best poker magazine in the industry.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Phil Gordon Says Bluff Magazine Best in Industry. WTF??!!

They are both good magazines. Bluff Magazine named this the best poker forum. We agree on that, right?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Speaking of Cardplayer, is it harder to find at magazine/book stores? Barnes and Nobles doesn't carry it anymore that I know of, but they carry All In and Bluff. Also some local magazine stores don't carry it anymore, but carry Bluff and All In. What up with that?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:38 PM

how many of these are there going to be /month?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:03 PM

barry your magazine sucks ass.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:10 PM

Bluff magazine is the best in industry. I dont know if there is much difference between Bluff and Bluff europe, but at least Bluff europe in whole other league then cardplayer.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I used to subscribe to four poker magazines (mostly using cheap Party Poker points), and Card Player is the only one I have used my own money to renew.

I would rank them like this:
1.) Card Player
2.) All In
3.) Bluff
4.) Poker Pro

Both All In and Bluff are fairly superficial, but I feel like All In makes more of an attempt to have substantive poker articles, and it also has a much cleaner design.

There are many articles in Bluff that I found painful on my eyes to read; I can't understand how anyone can screw up the concept of "dark text on light background". Combined with the poor writing and general immaturity of many of the "lifestyle" articles, the whole packages comes off as really unprofessional.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When you read Cardplayer three years ago there were always a number of well written technical articles on poker that can help you improve your game, rather than a bunch of stupid poker foolishness like you see in newer issues of Cardplayer, Bluff, and All-In.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

I'm being a bit snarky, but CardPlayer had taken a turn for the worse, as the articles have mostly gotten watered down to newbie level or are just ridiculous fluff pieces that shamelessly kiss up to that week's coverboy/covergirl. I really haven't read Bluff besides skimming it in a cardroom. I had a charter subscription to All-In. That magazine was a load of caca run by buffoons.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

When you read Cardplayer three years ago there were always a number of well written technical articles on poker that can help you improve your game, rather than a bunch of stupid poker foolishness like you see in newer issues of Cardplayer, Bluff, and All-In.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

I'm being a bit snarky, but CardPlayer had taken a turn for the worse, as the articles have mostly gotten watered down to newbie level or are just ridiculous fluff pieces that shamelessly kiss up to that week's coverboy/covergirl. I really haven't read Bluff besides skimming it in a cardroom. I had a charter subscription to All-In. That magazine was a load of caca run by buffoons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the worst recent trend with Cardplayer is their constant slurping up to Full Tilt. The article on the tournament in Australia won by Gus Hansen was disgusting. Why do I care how many "Full Tilt pro" made it to Day 3 or whatever, and why do I need to see four Full Tilt logos in every photo? The have really damaged their journalistic credibility in my eyes. Still the best poker magazine out there though.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 PM

Nick and Tom I agree with both of you. Although I still think Cardplayer is by far the best poker mag out there they have decreased the depth of their articles, but not nearly as bad as Bluff which has zero depth and 100% fluff. Hey maybe they should change their name to Fluff Magazine!