Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 03-25-2007, 06:38 AM

Default Five Card Draw books.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend any books on 5 card draw?

One of my friends plays it in a home game and when i visit him i dont want to be as helpless as i was the first and only time i had played it.

thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Five Card Draw books.

Michael Weisenberg articles on CardPlayer

It really depends on the variation of 5CD he plays in his game.

Super System has some in it but that isn't the version played online todays. It was Jacks or better to open with a Joker and Antes. Online plays with two blinds.

Also check out the "Other Poker" board here. Tom Bayes has some great posts on draw books, resources, etc.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Five Card Draw books.

If you are going to play online draw, where you use the 52 card deck, a SB/BB structure similar to holdem, and you can enter the pot with any hand, then read Wiesenberg's articles.

If this home game plays old-school draw, with antes instead of blinds, jacks-or-better to open, and a 53-card deck including the bug, then you'd want to check out the draw chapter in the original SuperSystem and/or Mason Malmuth's Winning Concepts in Draw and Lowball.

If you get serious about draw, there are other good old books (many out of print) you'll want to hunt down.

I bet if you read a few of Wiesenberg's articles that you'll likely be way ahead of most people at a home game. Remember, opening the pot with a limp is almost always wrong, two draw is often a trap hand and should be treated like a medium pair in holdem, not the nuts, and in most situations you should fold come hands.