Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 03-30-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Book Announcement

this looks pretty good , im gonna buy it
when is it going out , mason?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:10 AM

Should be expanded to two-tables also. Or, it shouldn't, because I don't want people getting better at them.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a manuscript that we received unsolicted and it is quite good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol. A born salesman! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'll buy it anyway, of course.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how well this book will sell.

Online SNGs have been on the decline for several reasons. Most notably is that the structure of paying 3 spots presents an obvious necessary strategy: tight early and loose-aggressive late. As the online games are getting tougher, a lot of SNG players have switched to cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the opposite viewpoint as you on this one. Even though online SnGs may be suffering, a lot of people including my friends play tournements with similar styles to SnGs. I feel there will be a market for people who are not professionals but still play in a lot of home tourneys

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly-most home game tourneys are essentially SNGs, based on the number of players, paying more than 1 spot, and a quick blind structure.

Maybe Mason/someone can come up with a title that works the home game aspect in without being too clumsy? I might also shy away from the word "Online" in the title in a post-UIGEA world.

I'm guessing this has to be a pretty good book because I have the feeling that Mason/David are probably pretty brutal in judging unsolicited manuscripts.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 PM

I'm guessing that Mason/David can't accurately judge the quality of a book on SNGs.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Book Announcement *DELETED*

Post deleted by deacsoft
Old 03-30-2007, 03:15 PM

A book that explores playing these thing really WELL in a world full of fairly straight-forward 'tight early, push-bot late' type grinders would be something I would be interested in.

Yes, you can play a fairly straight-forward style and be successful at these things, especially at the low buy-in's.
I'm not much of an SNG player and don't really frequent the forum here, but I suspect there's more than one way to approach these things and it's worth exploring.

Also, if Mason is this impressed with it then that's good enough to me as far as being, at least, somewhat interested.

Mason isn't an SNG player though to my knowledge and is perhaps about as unfamiliar with the theory in the SNG forum as I am.
But he can, at least, recognize when the theories aren't completely horrible.
He seems genuinely impressed with this work so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:35 PM

I'm surprised that we seem to need an extra book for SnGs. Are there any gaps in Harrington's work? If it's just general advice, I'm not sure it's worth it, but if there are strategies shown how to beat the straightforward style it could be very interesting. Anyways, if it shows how to beat $ 5 Donkaments there's no thrill of anticipation.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:31 PM

look forward to it mason...thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised that we seem to need an extra book for SnGs. Are there any gaps in Harrington's work? If it's just general advice, I'm not sure it's worth it, but if there are strategies shown how to beat the straightforward style it could be very interesting. Anyways, if it shows how to beat $ 5 Donkaments there's no thrill of anticipation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harrington doesn't really say much about sng's. There is a lot of stuff about sng's that does not appear to be widely known in the poker world. The skills required to succeed at sng's are completely different from most other forms of poker. If this book does a good job at explaining these skills, I imagine that quite a few STTF regulars might have to get a real job.