Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 03-23-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Planet Poker just threw in the towel

I've just logged in out of curiosity and the site can't be pulling in much rake. No Stud, Omaha, Draw, or Badugi going, no Limit HE either. The only NL games are 6 player games, a $25, a $5, and two $2 max buyin games.

Not much of a selection.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:51 PM

The cash games had been slowly dying for years. Over the past year, there were usually just a handful of LHE tables, several NLHE tables (mostly micro buyins), a table or two of low-stakes PLO/8, maybe a table of Stud8 and maybe a table of Draw. They just added Badugi a few months ago and it quickly died after the curiosity wore off with the regulars when they learned they sucked at it. It's even worse now, as I'm guessing a lot of people are just clearing out their bankroll (either the transfer to Bodog or check or ePassporte) once they learn the news.

I'm gonna donk off my final few bucks in some small buy-in MTTs and say bye to some of the people I've played on and off for years.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker.com (the real poker.com that a lot of you dont remember) a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the software just stopped working one day. I remember having a terrible time at Omaha hi/lo the night before going from $400 to $50 bankroll (it was alot at the time). I was very upset. Next day the software stopped working and never got up and running again.

Someone "hijacked" the domain name, I don't understand everything, but never saw a cent afterwards.

Poker.com Inc continues fight over ‘hijacked’ URL(2003)
Old 03-23-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 1st big poker site until someone hacked it and could read cards. They never recovered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a link to the RNG-hacking story (written by the "hackers" themselves, who turned out to have benign rather than malicious motives) -- prob one of the coolest stories a good chunk of the poker-playing public still doesn't know about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Great story. I'm surprised I had never heard of this until now.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just logged in out of curiosity and the site can't be pulling in much rake. No Stud, Omaha, Draw, or Badugi going, no Limit HE either. The only NL games are 6 player games, a $25, a $5, and two $2 max buyin games.

Not much of a selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody around in late afternoon today as it appears they let the props go. Usually a few games going from late afternoon until 2-3 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Not much of a selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody around in late afternoon today as it appears they let the props go. Usually a few games going from late afternoon until 2-3 AM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, it's only been like that for about 2 or 3 years now ..
Old 03-23-2007, 11:29 PM

My first site.

Made a $50 deposit which they matched (didn't trust it, but $50 was an amount I could live with getting scammed out of.)

Made the $50($100) into $3000 in 3 weeks playing very low, and never looked back.

I stopped playing there when they upped the rake in the $2-$4 fixedlimit game.

I remember playing Mike Caro HU, $5-$10 which was high for me at the time, and we both lost to the rake, but he lost more, so I won lol.

I left table (which you had to do when you went out of game) but came back just in time to see him say nice things about my game to the long line of spectators, good times.

I remember keeping the $5-$10 going all day by myself, I was the action of the game, nice high flop % but such good feel of the other players that I still won, whilst they still believed I was the fish [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

They had a chance to be in it bigtime, but lost due to incompetence.

R.I.P.

ToT
Old 03-24-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, who were the props at Planet? Floorstep was the only obvious house player to me.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:40 PM

They are both around online poker, and still class acts.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM

I withdrew all but $5.xx to ePassporte on Friday afternoon and my money was in ePassporte this morning (Monday).

I played a couple of cheapo tourneys and failed to cash (including the $1 Draw that I used to pwn when I was learning 5CD). I then took my last $2.xx to a micro NL table, got it all-in with QQ against AA, failed to suck out, and that was that for Planet Poker and me.