Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Futurama: \"Bender\'s Big Score\" + other movies/\"new\" episodes

[ QUOTE ]
It's that they are ALL back. Not some of them, every single one, and the joke is pretty much "Look, it's those guys you may remember"!

[/ QUOTE ]

Off the top of my head, I would say Crimes of the Hot almost certainly packs in more recurring characters/min than the movie, and 300 big boys might too. Though, I would def. agree there is a different "feel" to the reoccurances here.

Out of curiostity, what are your thoughts re: 300 big boys, or 22 short films about springfield? (Im not saying they are the same, Im just curious)
Old 11-22-2007, 03:36 AM

IMO 22 short films about springfield is a classic, top ten episode of that show and 300 big boys is merely a solid one.

I kind of have high hopes for the rest of the dvd movies now that this one is out of the way to be honest, I'm thinking that the gratuitous fanwanking is over and the rest will be pretty good. I hope.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 AM

I liked how many recurring characters there were. I have absolutely no problem with the first movie having such grand fanwanking. However, if they do it again I will be disappointed. Like when Family Guy came back I loved seeing Ollie the Weather Guy, the old Pervert, and the evil monkey. However when Family Guy kept including them every other show I got sick of Family Guy.

One of the great things about Futurama is that there were new interesting characters almost every show. Hopefully they have new characters in store for the next movie. Yes this movie did have some new aliens, but they weren't really that interesting.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:49 PM

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I liked the Fox thing at the beginning but after that the next twenty or so minutes seemed very contrived and the jokes forced. There were plenty of jokes that just fell completely flat on their faces and I was a little worried. However, after a while it seemed like it started to pick up and, while there were some scenes that went on far too long, I felt that they allowed the characters to be flow better and be funnier in the second half, much the same way the old futurama used to.

Overall, I think this will turn out better than the return of Family Guy and am quite looking forward to more episodes.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:45 PM

When this is turned into 4 episodes I think it's pretty clear the first will be the worst one (although the extended opening was really great).

I enjoyed the call backs, but agree that they should be done with them now.

Spoilers
<font color="white">- I really didn't like the first song, but the second one in Santa's workshop was really great (Kwanzaa Bot was amazing).
- fav quote: "You haven't seen the last of Barbados Slim! Now goodbye forever!" </font>
Old 11-23-2007, 12:21 AM

Yeah I thought the second song was sensational, Coolio was freaking awesome as Kwanzaa Bot
Old 11-23-2007, 01:37 AM

I thought it was pretty funny
Old 11-23-2007, 03:06 AM

In the 75th percentile compared to all the episodes I think. It doesn't compare to the best episodes but was better than average and certainly infinitely better than Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch
Old 11-23-2007, 04:57 AM

I thought it was good, people had really high expectations and this show isn't at it's best when using long plot arcs. It wasn't as self referential as everyone is making it out to be this was the equivalent of six episodes if you were to randomly pick six episodes you would probably get a similar amount of references.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:22 AM

I just watched it and thought it was weak throughout. Not because it was too self referential, because I usually enjoy that kind of stuff. I thought the jokes were flat, the lines weren't snappy.

If the battle scene had been done in the original Futurama it would have lasted less than 10 seconds, had one really memorable line, and everyone would have thought it was hilarious and wanted more. It would have been better if they had cut down this "film" into one extended episode, 40 minutes or so.