Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 01:24 AM

Default general strategy thoughts with AA in pot limit

Betting or trying to induce a bluff
Scenario : Heads up out of position with AA and the pot is about equal to your stack. The flop comes q q 5 offsuit. What do you do you do in this situation? How does it change depending on the skill level of your opponent? I do different things in this situation, however, I usually just betting the pot and hope. I think you are playing for your stack here so there could be some value in checking to induce a bluff. It seems obvious that you have aa here and therefore will play the hand through, but I have seen much stupider things than a bluff in this spot.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:41 AM

Default Re: general strategy thoughts with AA in pot limit

If the pot is equal to your stack, then that means you've committed 1/3 of your stack preflop(assuming heads up). Other than an ace flopping, having the board pair and only one low card is pretty much all you can ask for here. You should just push.

I think your question becomes a lot more interesting when your stack is deeper.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:35 PM

In the situation you describe the chips are going in regardless. There's too much money in the middle relative to your remaining chips. So the question is whether it's better to lead or check hoping to induce a bluff. In general, I like to check. Hopefully he'll take the bait and bet with a weaker hand. If it goes check/check, then I lead for the pot on the turn regardless. If the turn card is another low card, that gives him the opportunity to make a mistake chasing a bare low draw. Your flop check may also be seen as weakness and you may pick up loose calls from curious opponents.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Good points, TomG. I should've included something along those lines as well. Hoewver I will note that the turn could bring him a low and flush/straight draw, which may give him correct odds to call on the turn(I'm honestly not sure).

In general I don't like to play tricky(checking with the hopes of calling an all in would definitely be classified as tricky imo) when the pot is big.

I think I'd mix up my play and do each about 50% of the time.