Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Handling comments from ignorant buddies/donkeys

I was at a home game last night, where I am the most experienced and knowledgable player. The group of guys I was playing only plays $10 and $20 buy in home tournaments. It is generally recognized that I'm the best player in the group.

There is this one guy there, who is one of the worse players there, but as we know in poker, players will always over estimate their abilities; especially the ignorant ones.

This one guy Jack, regularly makes a point of saying I play too tight, and criticizes my style because I don't donk around like the rest of the guys. He makes comments about demeaning my ability because I only came finished in the money once out of three games. This guys strategy is clueless, yet he constantly runs his mouth.

As far as profitability goes, the correct plays for me are to:
-compliment bad plays
-not correct his ignorance
-let him believe he is a good player
-not allow him to believe that poker is a long term game where results of skill will not immediately show in the short term.

The correct plays when dealing with this guy are to be humble, and not flaunt my skills, abilities, knowledge and accomplishment. That is the best move financially. In the short term, it can be hard to not rip into him. I find it hard to listen to Jack run his mouth without thinking. For example, this guy is 5'10 and weighs 240lbs, yet will refer to a girl 'a fat pig' if she happens to be about 10 - 15 lbs overweight.

I know poker is about staying focused, and not going on tilt, but this guy seems to get to me. I don't know if it is more that Jack is such an idiot, or I am letting his ignorance get to me more than it should. Does anyone else have any advice or stories of ignorant players running their mouth, and being put in the dilemma of just being humble and biting your lip?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Handling comments from ignorant buddies/donkeys

Standard.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Keep your mouth shut and let this guy shoot off if he needs too. Get over your superiority complex especially since you're playing donkaments. Realize that your main objective in this setting is to have fun w/ friends first.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 PM

Get in there and donk around with the rest of them. If you are skilled, you can out-donk them. I mean this is $10-$20 and with buddies, so enjoy.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM

When I play my buds, having fun is first and foremost. I can win money online if its about the money. A superiority complex is not part of the issue here. I can objectively say I'm the most experienced and knowledgeable player, without obnoxiously making a point of it to the people I play with.

The reason I bring up the point of an obnoxious and ignorant friend is that it takes away from the fun of playing, which is the main reason I play with my friends in the first place - the fun and social interaction.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:48 PM

How good of a friend is he?

If you're just "acquaintances" I would keep my mouth shut and continue to take his $10.

If you guys are best buds I would rip right back into him and explain to him how he's an ignorant donk and he'll never win money in the long run. In my league's first two seasons, I ripped right back into my very good friend who was obnoxious. After seeing how his stats were compared to mine, he finally started listening to me, and now he's the champ of our 3rd season.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:28 PM

Yea at my friendly home game we talk [censored] non stop, maybe it's just because we understand craich but really just tell the fat bastard to shut the [censored] up if he annoys you that much.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:43 PM

I'm assuming the monies don't mean much.

So, use it against him. Pull off a big bluff in a heads-up pot against him and show the nut low to the whole table rubbing it in his face.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:27 AM

Why do people want confrontation?

This person is giving you an enormous amount of information. I imagine you could manipulate any pot you wanted to with him. Never reveal to him a bluff, at least not until you're ready to change your style.

As to the comments themselves, just shrug and smile and take it in stride. You have nothing to prove to this person. If anything, you should try to get a cash game going with this group so that you can use his tendencies to even more of your advantage. That's the best revenge.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 AM

nh