Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: i have a game buy-in theory question

Not trying to be argumentative. Just never get why players are scared by big stacks when all that matters is effective stacks. If a guy has you covered he has you covered. Everything after that might as well be money he is getting ready to re-buy with as far as you're concerned. In a $300 capped buy in game would you want to walk away if a guy sat 3 grand in bills off to the side and said he'd leave if he got busted out of that?

Also not trying to pick fights over theory. The only thing that disturbs me (in the sense that it's wrong thinking) is the very common attitude of "don't play nl against a guy w/ deep pockets who'll bet crazy". Thinking like that is throwing away easy, easy money.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 PM

another thing is that when the few times i play in such maniac games i play ultra tight and wait for great hands. i wont play say for example 88 for such large raises. but i dont even know if that strategy is correct. forget about limping with 55 hoping to stack someone. i do very good in the capped games because the playing field is even so to speak. so all of the posts to this thread have been excellent and it seems to me that i should not be afraid of the uncapped games even if im only willing to buy-in for 100-150bbs. is this the consensus?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:34 PM

if it plays like you say I'd buy in as short as allowed and punish the terrible pre-flop play. If you know how to play a short-stack that game is an absolute honey-pot.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 PM

well i will be back in biloxi aug 24th and i will take a shot at the beau rivage uncapped game. it will be the first time i have played other then the ips capped game.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...If a guy has you covered he has you covered...

The only thing that disturbs me (in the sense that it's wrong thinking) is the very common attitude of "don't play nl against a guy w/ deep pockets who'll bet crazy". Thinking like that is throwing away easy, easy money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I see your point, but still disagree for the following reason. If a guy has you covered, that's one thing. If EVERYONE at the table has you covered, it's something else entirely. If it's just one guy you'll be playing for your stack when he's in the hand, but if everyone has you covered you'll be playing for your stack EVERY hand.

So it's less a matter of being scared by a big stack than it is realizing that I can buy in $X here and play any number of styles of poker, or buy in $X there and have to play such that if I call a "standard" PF raise, I may be committing my stack. The second leads to short-stack poker, which while it can profitable can also cost you a chance to make better equity decisions on later streets when the bets get bigger anyway. So it's a cost/benefit thing. I prefer deep-stack poker for those reasons.

But yeah, you're absolutely right that a crazy better shouldn't drive you off. In fact, you should probably smile. Especially if he's on your right.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 PM

in some of these crazy games its mainly like 1-3 maniac players at the most but if i buy in for my prefered stack of 100-150bb just about all others will have me covered. my bankroll is a standard 6000 and change.i do not want to buy in for 500 every session as 6000 is not enough except for "shots". im most comfortable with 100-150bb stacks. on the other hand im a awesome short stack player. it comes natural for me and if you ask any who have played with me they will tell you that im very solid.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM

i misunderstood; thought you meant capped as in the capped games online
Old 07-31-2007, 04:00 PM

The capped game would be plenty for our bankroll.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:08 PM

Have you considered actually buying in LOWER? That way it's harder to be bullied off of hands because you're much more likely to be all-in when you have a hand that warrants big bets. You don't have to make the choice of folding or going deeper into your bankroll, and if you get knocked out you can just reload.

It's not a tournament, so losing your small stack isn't the end. The advantage of being big stacked in a ring game is that if you stack off with someone and win, you'll make more money, but tactically small stacks have advantages that make up for that. It's definitely a tradeoff, but if you're uncomfortable with losing your 100bb buy-in, then think about buying in smaller.