Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Thinking about Pre Flop Strategy in very aggressive limit games

I play on a site with very aggressive full ring limit games. Some TAGS, some LAGS, Mostly semi-LAGS. In particular, virtually every pot will be raised pre-flop and pretty much every early limper will be raised.

I was thinking of ways to use this. I am thinking of starting to limp a significant number of hands in early position about 50% of the time, AA-99, AK, AQ. and then re-raising with AA, KK, QQ, AKs AK and AQs, and just calling with the rest, and take a look at the flop from there. I want there to be a balance to the early limping, as I want my oponents to be unable to read whether the limp is a premium hand or not. I tend to think that this will be postive EV, as it should get more money in the pot with the premiums, and about the same with AQ-10/10 as well as they will be getting raised as well, often by weaker hands.

I'm no math wonk, and was wondering if others have tried this or have any useful commentary.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Thinking about Pre Flop Strategy in very aggressive limit games

I think it's a solid strategy that works best when you can anticipate where the preflop raise is going to come from. Weaker hands like AQs can help to limit the field from time to time with a strategic limp/reraise while stronger hands like AA-JJ can still handle a lot of callers.

On the other hand, missing out on those opportunities to pump AA-JJ will make those hands not as profitable in games with low post-flop action so you want the post-flop action to be aggressive in order to justify the deception.

Of course, it all depends on the texture of the game and what your image is of course.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Re: Thinking about Pre Flop Strategy in very aggressive limit games

This is discussed a bit in Winning in Tough Hold'em Games.