Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 PM

Default A tough spot.

20-40 live 9 handed. This is my first orbit at this game. I am familiar with all players except unfortunately the two villians in this hand.

4 players limp, I complete in SB with Kc7c, BB checks.

The flop: 4d5s6c

I bet and everyone calls.

The turn: 4d5s6c8d

I bet, BB raises, it is folded to LP who tanks for maybe 6 seconds(he kind of looked like he wasn't sure what to do but then again it could have been an act). He reraises and it is up to me.........What should I do?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: A tough spot.

Wow, that little hollywood pause usually means the nuts. I think at best you are calling to chop it 3-ways...this could actually be a fold.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:34 PM

is the LP villian capable of playing a hand like 79?? peronally i would 4-bet/cap and lead out any non club or paired card... he might be 3 betting his fd so i would be careful if a club falls on the river
Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 PM

only one hand beats you here though several others have freeroll possibilities...

it pretty much boils down to if one of these guys can be raising, mainly looking at bb, with a set/2pair here fairly often... half the pot is still worth a call getting approx 3-1... but if everyone can't have anything less than a 7 it's probably a fold...

i probably wouldn't want to 4-bet cause that's just setting us up to lose the max here.. i think seeing if BB 4bets gives us a much clearer picture of what to do than if hero caps...
Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM

Unfortunately I had no reads other than both of these guys had played about 4 out of the ten hands I had seen up to this point.

My biggest concern here was how much more this hand was going to cost me being sandwiched between two aggressors and going to a split pot at best. My thinking at the time was that he was free-rollin with a flush draw along with the straight. He could have the nuts as well although i could still tie him if a 9 hit.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 PM

4 betting does have value if BB is in fact raising with just two pair(because I bet the flop he may not put me on the straight necessarily) which he may fold and saves us at least half the pot those times we are chopping. If he has a set we make him pay for the draw but I am sure he wouldn't fold here.

I am also thinking that this wouldn't go multiple bets on the river assuming just one person has the nuts because the other player with just a seven or worse would be an idiot to bet into this.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 betting does have value if BB is in fact raising with just two pair(because I bet the flop he may not put me on the straight necessarily) which he may fold and saves us at least half the pot those times we are chopping. If he has a set we make him pay for the draw but I am sure he wouldn't fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd actually rather let BB draw to his 4 outs since when he hits them you're usually just chopping the pot. The value of protecting your hand goes down when you're unlikely to have the whole pot.

The reason to 4-bet IMO would be if there's any chance of getting BB to fold a straight.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd actually rather let BB draw to his 4 outs since when he hits them you're usually just chopping the pot. The value of protecting your hand goes down when you're unlikely to have the whole pot.

The reason to 4-bet IMO would be if there's any chance of getting BB to fold a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

If BB hits one of his four outs assuming he has two pair then he would win the whole pot.

Certainly getting the BB to fold a straight would be great.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:13 PM

How much pot equity do you think you have? It's possible that you may have to put in more than 3 big bets to see the showdown too. IMO you're almost certainly splitting the pot at best and someone could have you tied but freerolling for a flush too. Or maybe loose player has 7-10 and is free rolling for a higher straight. Pot's big at this point but is it big enough?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:35 PM

How would you play this hand if you knew

1)UTG had two pair, and MP had a 7 with a flush draw

2)both players had a 7 and one had a flush draw