Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Possible dilemma in the late stages

Full Tilt $24+2 with 723 players

Background: Dodged a huge bullet on the bubble when my AJ beat KK. Tripled up soon after with AA against A10 and 99. Built up a decent stack since then.

Style of play: There seem to be a lot more all-ins going on right now than I would normally expect at this stage. Almost everybody is moving their chips around.

The situation: Within the first three hands after the consolidation to two tables.

The hand: Sorry I don't have a hand history. The blinds are 1500-3000 with a 400 ante. I'm 13th out of 18 with 34,000 chips. Two folds to me. I raise to 10,000 with 88. It folds to the BB who has 60,000 or so. He shoves. He has JJ. Game over for me.

Immediately after the hand occurred, I was mad at myself. I had played for four hours and outlasted 700 people only to go out like that.

I'm pretty certain that most of you will say I played the hand correctly. I can't see it being a good idea to fold to a reraise after comitting roughly 1/3 of my stack.

However, I was upset at myself for even getting involved in the first place. Although my M was just a little over 4, I wasn't feeling any immediate pressure to make a move.

I guess I have just been thinking a lot lately about position. With 7 people to act behind me, there is a pretty good chance that someone is going to find a hand that beats me. Obviously 88 is a fairly strong hand. Maybe I shouldn't be playing it from up front though in this case?

I have been telling myself lately that I'm playing to win the tournament. In the last few days, I haven't even been looking at the payout structure. My focus has just been on winning. If you're playing to win, I guess you are probably playing the 88 there.

Nevertheless, as fast and furious as the action had been for the last half hour or so, I can't help but think that I could have waited for a better spot and improved my position some.

First place was over $4,000 and I walked away with $86. Very disappointing. I felt I was playing as well as most of the other people left in the tournament.

So, do any of you guys ever lay down 88 in early position here? It seems very nitty and I might be focusing too much on the results. I was just wondering.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Possible dilemma in the late stages

With an M < 5, I'm personally open shoving 88 from any position.

In 3rd position with 88 and 7 still to act there's a 17.6% chance someone still to act has an overpair. I calculated using this preflop overpair equation I came up with previously.

So with an M of 4 and an 82% chance I have the best hand at this moment I think preflop shove is the best play here.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So with an M of 4 and an 82% chance I have the best hand at this moment I think preflop shove is the best play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you give a little explanation of why the open shove is preferrable over what I did? I have never really understood it I guess. I seem to be in the minority, but I almost always choose to make a normal raise and then shove the flop if my stack allows.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you give a little explanation of why the open shove is preferrable over what I did? I have never really understood it I guess. I seem to be in the minority, but I almost always choose to make a normal raise and then shove the flop if my stack allows.

[/ QUOTE ]For myself it's just simpler than a more advanced move like go-n-go or raise/call. When I'm short I'm in push/fold mode and looking for spots to shove preflop. Since all my money is going in I just get it in with the max FE.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm short I'm in push/fold mode and looking for spots to shove preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a specific point when you will usually stop making normal raises and start doing this instead? For instance, once you get down under 10 big blinds or something?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, do any of you guys ever lay down 88 in early position here?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my main concern here. If our only goal is winning the tournament, do we ever do anything other than raising with 88 in this spot? I'm not focusing on moving up a few spots for an extra 50 or 100 bucks.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:53 PM

When you get below M=10/15bb, you should be shoving if you get involved at all. Under M=5, you start shoving a broad range. Read HOH II for detailed discussion and clarifying examples.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read HOH II for detailed discussion and clarifying examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it. I just have a bad memory. :-)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:37 PM

Definite shove pre. Maximize FE + weaker hands calling you = awesome.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Interesting situation imo... given table dynamic and hero's position which situation is more EV

1. Shoving with 88 here
or
2. Shoving any 2 from say sb to HJ

btw... i know all about 'M' etc. etc. but he's not under serious pressure here despite his low 'M'. I think at some point you have to ignore 'M' calculations and start making decisions based on other factors.