Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Songs with cool stories behind them

"It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" - Bob Dylan

Although never confirmed by Dylan, it's widely believed the song is about his relationship with Joan Baez. More specifically, she couldn't take a hint that she was being dropped, so he decided to do it through the power of music.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that reminds me of "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple.

The lyrics pretty much explain it all, but it's about some big festival or party that was held in like Montreaux, Switzerland by a lake, and some idiot with a flare gun caught Frank Zappa's place on fire, IIRC. The place burnt down, and the smoke hovered over the water, inspiring the lyric "Smoke on the Water...fire in the sky..."

[/ QUOTE ]

I had always heard this was about a bong.... stoners are full of crap.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that reminds me of "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple.

The lyrics pretty much explain it all, but it's about some big festival or party that was held in like Montreaux, Switzerland by a lake, and some idiot with a flare gun caught Frank Zappa's place on fire, IIRC. The place burnt down, and the smoke hovered over the water, inspiring the lyric "Smoke on the Water...fire in the sky..."

[/ QUOTE ]

I had always heard this was about a bong.... stoners are full of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, it took you way too long to figure that out.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:33 PM

I'm surprised someone hasn't said "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 PM

For me, definitely The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot. Although some factual inaccuracies exist in the lyrics, it still is a very cool song about a very tragic event. I've seen an expose about it on A&E that was really good.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:44 PM

Where's Patton with the FNM/Bungle stuff? Someone put out an APB. Cuckoo for Caca? Be Aggressive? Stripsearch? Stub-a-Dub?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 PM

ipo lei manu

the lyrics (in hawaiian), translation and back story are at this link.
cliff notes version is that Queen Kapi'olani wrote this song for her husband, King Kalakaua after he set sail to California in 1890. The King died in San Francisco and never heard this song.

It's a very beautiful love song and now is a considered a standard in Hawaiian music. it's sung in the upper range of the male register, between normal and falcetto, which gives it a haunting longing quality to it.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where's Patton with the FNM/Bungle stuff? Someone put out an APB. Cuckoo for Caca? Be Aggressive? Stripsearch? Stub-a-Dub?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, The Secret Song from Disco Volante is the song with the best story. Most people think it's about Jim Martin bitching about being kicked out of Faith No More. It's not.

"The story behind the song goes something like this: It was originally recorded without Trevor Dunn, and no one told him about it. He found a copy of it, and in response to its being kept a secret from him, he added the "old man" lyrics like, "I know the secret song now," and, "they kicked me out of the band."

To add another dimension to the secret nature of the song, knowledge of the new lyrics was kept from Mike Patton until shortly before Disco Volante was released. Basically, the name of the song and the lyrics are an inside joke, meaning relevant to the people in Mr. Bungle" - Mr. Bungle FAQ

Also, on the LP, the song is double grooved with Carry Stress in the Jaw. If you play that side of the record normally, you never hear the Secret Song. If you drop the needle at the beginning of the song and catch the other groove you will hear the Secret Song instead of Carry Stress in the Jaw. Of course on the CD you can't pull tricks like that so it just plays after Carry.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok seriously, just posting song names without stories is retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

just hit the song up on wiki
Old 11-13-2007, 02:58 PM

I got really excited about the origins of "Hey There Delilah" when I first heard it, but I was disappointed by the story. Apparently the lead singer met Delilah at a party, thought she was hot, and told her he had already written a song about her (which was a lie). She wasn't interested (was dating someone else) but he wrote the song anyway.