Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 AM

Default 5/10 Live; Deep- What is my most viable line?

Villain is a rich guy that I have played a fair bit of lower stakes NL with. In that game he plays a losing loose aggressive style, especially when he is drinking. He is not noticeably inebriated when this hand took place. This is the first time I have played Omaha with him or in a bigger game than 2- 5, and so far he has played a tight and predictably. For instance he has mostly folded to my raises when he limps UTG and I pot in position, and I made a naked ace check-raise bluff when a flush-draw hit in a hand and he folded a medium flush face up. We had a brief conversation about Omaha strategy over a beer before the game began and he expressed his opinion that “you can never really bluff in Omaha.”

On to the hand. Effective stacks around 2100 dollars.

Villain raises UTG to 25, one call, I call on the button with Jc8c6d4d, both blinds call.

Flop: J 7 4 with two clubs: Checked to me, I bet 125, every one folds except villain who makes the call.

Turn: J : Villain leads for 300, what is my play?
I will post my actual turn and river action independently later.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: 5/10 Live; Deep- What is my most viable line?

Call turn and bet or raise most rivers.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 AM

I'd probably make it 1100 here. This hand looks more like a weak draw he made trips with than it does any kind of full house or pure bluff so flat-calling would be a mistake. He's usually got 7.5 to 9 outs with trips so making it 1100 gives him the wrong odds to call, and with only 1000 left in his stack, he may feel pot-committed enough on the river to make the call with AJ or if whatever draw he had on the flop gets there.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:43 AM

Iggy, lets say he calls the 1100, are you calling a push on the river if a high card comes?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:45 AM

This is a very tough decision.

On one hand, he seems to always be betting with some sort of hand and doesn't think one can bluff. But he may not be betting with the nuts like when he bet earlier with the medium flush. He may just have an under full house or trip J.

I would prefer a call on the turn and on the river (assuming an 8 or J doesn't come off). Let him hang himself if he is behind and save money when you are behind.

If he checks the river, bet ~1/2 pot.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 AM

If we call arent we leaving money on the table, since his most likely hand is trip jacks? Calling also makes our river decision tough on any high cards.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 AM

definitely raise. By the description you're not likely to be behind here. He will often stack off here with worse and you can protect your hand against Jxxx. Raise to nearly the pot and stick the rest in on any river.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:13 AM

So i raised to 850, probably too small. He called, the river was a 10 and he checked to me. my move? stacks were a bit over a 1000 if IRC.

My rational at the time for the turn raise sizing was I wanted to leave enough of a stack that I could fold if he pushed the river, since I really didnt expect him to turn his hand into a bluff if he missed.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:25 AM

Surprisingly many players are not capable of c-raising the river. If he is this kind of a (typical) player, then shove. He might call with 444JJ, 666JJ or AJXX. If you know he is good, then you check behind, because often good players play connedted hands and T connects to J very well, so he might have rivered the top full.

But, if you have played as much as you describe with him, then you should know the answer to the river c-raise question and you action should depend 100% on that fact.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 AM

The pot is about 2000 dollars so I have around half a PSB. If I bet, I am never folding.