Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 11-10-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Experience Required?

hey FX,

If your school has any sort of career center you should definitely check there. FWIW, I goto Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh. I don't remember exactly what it was, but at some point, a few of the Pittsburgh sport franchises get together and have some sort of career fair/information session. I want to say that it was in the spring this year but I'm not positive, you could possibly find some info via google. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey FX,

If your school has any sort of career center you should definitely check there. FWIW, I goto Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh. I don't remember exactly what it was, but at some point, a few of the Pittsburgh sport franchises get together and have some sort of career fair/information session. I want to say that it was in the spring this year but I'm not positive, you could possibly find some info via google. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I go to IUP so I'm only down the road. I'm going to talk to one of my professors on Monday or Tuesday about it and see what her opinion is. There have been alot of past students coming in to speak about their experiences. Some of them have been in Litigation, and another worked for a bank. I don't want to do that...it just sounds boring. I really would like to work on the inside of a sports team. Otherwise, I'll probably just stay with the Police.

I do know the Columbus Blue Jackets are having a fair at the end of January. The Cavs and Indians will be there and a bunch of other Cleveland sports teams. It's $25 to go, but you also get a ticket to the Blue Jackets/Coyotes hockey game. It is sounding interesting.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM

Yeah- job positions require "experience" for all the good ones. I think it has to do with more and more people graduating with a degree so degree's are losing value- soon any good job is going to require a Graduate level degree...

Back to you- try and have an end "goal" of a job field...

If you like being a police officer than stay a police officer. with your experience and already having a license you should have no problems moving to another department that pays better in your state... so you have to move. If you move you have the more options available, you can specialize in a field- detective, SWAT, community relations, or management. pay is better.... Also in this track is Federal Law Enforcement. My college buddy just got in the FBI after 3 years of application process... I did his personal reference right after we graduated from college... he got a job as a part time jailer and worked on his masters degree in CJ.... so it is possible- they like accounting degree's- or any related Bureau IRS, INS, Customs..

If you want a job in the private sector utilizing your economics degree... yeah you need experience so you have to find some sort of entry level job somewhere.. or get an MBA - that will get you in the door...
Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 PM

42k is a hudge beat for police work, move up here to canada we pay our cops well.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 PM

More like 32k, which is way below my potential.

I talked to my professor and she suggested I apply for those positions anyways and see what happens. She said I basically have nothing to lose and it wouldn't hurt. It is like "casting a net" to see what happens. She is right. The worst that will happen is that I'll get turned down. They may see my past experience and believe that I'm trainable, which I am. I can do anything if they train me. The problem is if they want to take some time to train me. Who knows....

I'm actually thinking about starting a business so all of this job search nonsense may be useless. We'll see where I end up. I'm young and in no hurry.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 PM

If you move to Long Island I know that after like 5 years they pay cops 100-150k. Then after 20 years you can retire and get half pay the rest of your life.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you move to Long Island I know that after like 5 years they pay cops 100-150k. Then after 20 years you can retire and get half pay the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also contemplating whether I want to stay in the law enforcement field. That makes the decision more difficult.