Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 04:24 AM

Default Re: November College Hoops

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure why this thread died, it's still November, there's still college basketball, a Kentucky upset isn't the only game of the month or anything.

I'm getting pretty excited about the Ducks after watching their first two games. Not that beating Pepperdine and Pacific at home is anything to write home about, but it looks like Tajuan Porter might actually be at least somewhat competent as a point guard without losing his ability to shoot, which was my biggest concern coming into the year.

How do you feel about your team so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

i will be disappointed if we do not win the acc. obv i hope for a national title,but the tourney is so screwy that it's dumb to say we would have failed if we didn't win. i expect a deep run though.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 AM

Michigan has looked ok in two wins against Radford and Brown. Sophomore Deshauwn Sims has been very impressive so far with 23 and 17pts respectively. He has adapted to Beilein's system well early on and is much improved from last year where his shot was abominable when given a chance to play. Last year's starting PG Jerrett Smith was out both games with an injury/suspension and the turnovers that were a staple of Amaker teams weren't there, 17.6% so far this season vs 23.1%, 22.3%, and 23.9% the last three years.

The team is very young with only two upper classmen that saw playing time last year, but there is a lot of talent in the young players and we should be 10 deep when healthy.

Thursday's game at Georgetown will be a huge test and I'm interested in watching the zone try to contain the Hibbert/Wallace/Summers combo.

Beilein has completely changed the atmosphere of the program and I no longer feel like I would be the better coach. They aren't a ncaa tournament team this year. Their ooc schedule is harsh (Georgetown, BC, Duke, UCLA, Butler, and possibly VT, Gonzaga, WKU in Alaska shootout) and a 7-5 record going into conference play would be considered a fair start imo.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 PM

I got to check out Tulsa vs. Hampton yesterday, which was a pretty pleasant surprise. Hampton won by about 20 and looked really good. If they play like they did yesterday throughout most of the year I can see them making the dance. They've got some talented and athletic big men who can shoot the rock, and some quality guard play. Their pg looked great, even though he's a freshman and even though he's listed at 5'9 he is more like 5'5 (I would know I've known him and his brother for several years).

Maryland looked like ass early against North Florida but got it together and won 79-50. I'm not sure what to think of this year's Terps, mainly because of 7 freshman who need to show what they can do. With Gist and Milbourne out Dave Neal and Cliff Tucker got their starts, and that's not going to cut it in ACC play. It's obvious they're still searching for a consistent rotation to use, because guys were subbing left and right.

Osby concerns me down low, as he's more like 6'5, doesnt have much hops at all, and has no low post game. This team is going to have to rely heavily on the two soph guards Hayes and Vasquez, and senior forward Gist to carry most of the load. But one can hope that some freshmen step up like Hayes and Vasquez did last year.

On this year's team there's one soph (vasquez) and two freshmen (Walker and Bowie) who went to Montrose Christian, which is also where Kevin Durant went. That's so sick. There's no way Stu Vetter isn't crooked.