Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Question for Commerce Regulars . . . . 40/80 vs higher

Maybe a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how the 60/120 or (if I find my balls) 100/200 plays at the Commerce relative to the 40/80. I'm in town one more day, was thinking of moving up a limit . . .
Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Question for Commerce Regulars . . . . 40/80 vs higher

There are plenty of guys that know a lot more about this than I do but I gather the 60 game is not much different but the 1-2 has a much tougher lineup.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 PM

ask in midstakes limit
that is basically the B&M limit forum
Old 11-02-2007, 11:23 PM

The biggest difference is the 40 and 60 are almost always playable and often very good or even great. The 100 is a little more spotty and usually decent but sometimes tough. You will be fine if you are used to tougher online games and it won't take you long to figure it out. If you sit in the 1/2 and it is crap just rack it up.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you sit in the 1/2 and it is crap just rack it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 million dollars of advice in one line here folks, and I'm not kidding.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Just got back from Commerce (sorry Grisgra I forgot you were there and didn't meet any random 2p2 type guys to ask) where I played a bunch of 60/120 and the game played like a $3/$6 or lower online ring game pretty much the whole time. Basically you should play in it for many hours and never quit [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-04-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just got back from Commerce (sorry Grisgra I forgot you were there and didn't meet any random 2p2 type guys to ask) where I played a bunch of 60/120 and the game played like a $3/$6 or lower online ring game pretty much the whole time. Basically you should play in it for many hours and never quit [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I ended up sticking with 40 bcs I didn't want to take a shot at 1/2 yet & the 60 was full, but given that two of the more mediocre players ended up moving from the 40 to the 60 while I was playing . . .

Suffices to say that any small doubts I had about making a reasonable living if I quit my regular job & online poker disappeared . . . well, they're pretty much gone. Holy crap! Gotta love those coldcalls with J8s in mid after an early open-raise.

What kind of throws me is that the distribution of ability is so wide at those tables. Playing 30/60 SH, it's rare that there are any huge fish, and bluffing tendencies seem to be more consistent, but these tables seem to have 3 horrible players, 2 mediocre ones, 2 rocks, and maybe 2 good/excellent players . . . and not being a regular, it's tough to tell whether this is the 3-bet-bluff guy or the I-don't-raise-without-a-set guy.

(But I'll never, ever trust an asian woman again.)

Still kind of berating myself for not giving the 1/2 a shot. I'm a 30/60 regular online, and take shots up to 100/200 when the tables are right . . . I think I'm just afraid of giving off physical tells at that level, I'm sure I must have a ton.

Going to hit Artichoke Joe's in SF now for 3-4 hours, and bay101 tomorrow . . . anyone going to be at bay101 tomorrow, lemme know.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 AM

Meh the 1/2 actually looked crappy to me both nights I was there. Pokerbob and a couple other Minnesota donkeys were there grinding some ugly looking games (IMO) while I was living like a fat cat in 60/120, too bad I didn't win but the spot was right. LOL given your online skills next time let me know you are coming and we'll just start a 2/4 and it will be better than the 1/2 probably. You were likely one of the best players at any limit in the room.

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh the 1/2 actually looked crappy to me both nights I was there. Pokerbob and a couple other Minnesota donkeys were there grinding some ugly looking games (IMO) while I was living like a fat cat in 60/120, too bad I didn't win but the spot was right. LOL given your online skills next time let me know you are coming and we'll just start a 2/4 and it will be better than the 1/2 probably. You were likely one of the best players at any limit in the room.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have done more nagging here about meetin' 2+2'ers . . . ah, well, there will be other opportunities.

For the record, if the 60/120 at Commerce is usually like 3/6 online, the 15/30 at Artichoke Joe's (apparently the highest limit they spread) on Saturday night is like 0.05/0.10. Wowza.

I'm not a Foxwoods regular, but thinking back, the few times I was there I could swear all limits 4/8 and up played tougher. Either I've gotten much better in the last two years, or live play in SoCal is really massively intensely bad. (That is . . . good.)

PS -- what's with this "take a chip back" nonsense?! And this taking rake out preflop? Shees.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Was just there for 9 days, and when the 2/4 went, it was good for the most part.