Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Movies with the best Monologue

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much all the dialog in Network.

Network TV Speech

and this brilliant piece of writing and delivery by William Holden

The Common Rubble of Banality

[/ QUOTE ]

William Holden was so awesome....love that movie

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched that scene on youtube and wow, did it feel constructed, like a play. "You are television" indeed. I felt bad for the Dunaway character, who had to sit through that insulting rant without batting an eyelash. Incredibly unrealistic. I felt "the writer" all the way through that. It was painful.

I've always liked Holden, but I'm amazed he could choke that monster of glop out of his throat.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also like the Baldwin speech in Glengarry Glen Ross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROhlThs9qY

I like how some of the best actors of their generation are in this scene and just are basically there for atmosphere.

And here's the text, just for fun:

http://yu.ac.kr/~bwlee/esc/baldwin.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Such an incredibly awesome piece. Mamet is a god.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much all the dialog in Network.

Network TV Speech

and this brilliant piece of writing and delivery by William Holden

The Common Rubble of Banality

[/ QUOTE ]

William Holden was so awesome....love that movie

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched that scene on youtube and wow, did it feel constructed, like a play. "You are television" indeed. I felt bad for the Dunaway character, who had to sit through that insulting rant without batting an eyelash. Incredibly unrealistic. I felt "the writer" all the way through that. It was painful.

I've always liked Holden, but I'm amazed he could choke that monster of glop out of his throat.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, but you're wrong. If you watch the whole movie it's not supposed to be "real." It is "writerly," and thank god for that. Chayevsky was brilliant and this film was his crowning achievement. Movies can be unreal and hyper-real and still be wonderful. Chayevsky's words are akin to Astair's choreography in that they both get to the heart of what the story is all about.

And for another Network monologue, check out Ned Beatty's:

Ned Beatty boardroom

The whole film is a satire, over-the-top and about as unreal as you can get. The fact that a lot of what the film "predicted" has come true does not mean we're supposed to take it seriously now.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the Walgreen's joke a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad someone enjoyed it. It's even funnier if you could see my cousin, who is skinny and geeky and has none of Baldwin's gravitas.

[ QUOTE ]
You linked back to Chaplin again though

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the catch, JuntMonkey. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqeC3BPYTmE
Old 10-23-2007, 02:54 AM

One of my favorites is from Good Will Hunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFof9AD2YlE
Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 AM

Could smeone explain the difference in "speech" in a movie and actual monologue.??
Old 10-23-2007, 03:07 AM

Choose Life by Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting
Old 10-23-2007, 03:46 AM

Your having a different valuation doesn't disprove what I said, which is obviously correct.

It's an age-old problem stage dialogue has had. It's manifest here. I like stagey dialogue myself, quite often. But I like it to be not quite so hard to suspend my disbelief. This business broke the continuous dream of its fiction. I have a feeling Chayevsky could have gone out for a cigarette break at any point during the writing of that dialogue and had his secretary fill it in for him. Tight and true, it's not. Writerly, it is.

By the way, I liked Marty a lot, and think Chayevsky is immensely talented. Regardless, I reserve the right to criticize this scene for its obvious flaws.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your having a different valuation doesn't disprove what I said, which is obviously correct.

It's an age-old problem stage dialogue has had. It's manifest here. I like stagey dialogue myself, quite often. But I like it to be not quite so hard to suspend my disbelief. This business broke the continuous dream of its fiction. I have a feeling Chayevsky could have gone out for a cigarette break at any point during the writing of that dialogue and had his secretary fill it in for him. Tight and true, it's not. Writerly, it is.

By the way, I liked Marty a lot, and think Chayevsky is immensely talented. Regardless, I reserve the right to criticize this scene for its obvious flaws.

[/ QUOTE ]

well poo on you.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 AM

Yeah, while writing that I felt like I was going ewww! to somebody's lunch while it was halfway to their mouth, which I try not to do. But it's just my opinion. I think it holds up, but the scene plays better than I think it should because of Holden being, well, Holden, if nothing else. I wish I could see 5 times the Holden he gave us.

I love Tarantino's stagey dialogue, and Mamet's, too. Some of Marty seemed far too composed for realistic speech -- not like it was Neil Simon or anything -- but I loved it anyway. Just once in a while it jumps out at you, is all. I love these actors, but I felt they were grinding metal between their molars trying to force out those words and still give them some semblance of life.