Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Adjusting to live reads, standard or did I blow it?

Cast of characters: SB = passive Asian female, EP - Euro male showing off to wife. She is sitting behind him. Been playing all night. Plays too many hands, passes on PF raising premium (AK type) hands. Aggressive post flop and not stupid. MP - WAG = Wild Asian Player, older, ATC and raises liberally, anytime. Hero - OTB holding 99.

EP raises. Odd for him. I put him on a big pair because I have observed him not raise AK PF. WAG calls cold. I call cold even though I think I am behind. SB completes. BB calls. 5 to the flop.

FLOP: 27Tr. It gets checked to me. Now I question my read on EP and bet. BB folds. Others just call. Did EP raise AK this time? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Turn: another 2. Puts 2 clubs on the board as well. SB checks, EP checks, MP WAG bets. I raise. I want to isolate the WAG. SB folds, but EP calls, and MP calls.

River Q but not clubs. I let it check through.

Did my adjustment to my reads to the play make sense? Feel free to question my action on all streets. I think my adjustments were OK, but, at the same time, I was self questioning my actions on every street. I'll give you the difficult task of figuring me out.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Adjusting to live reads, standard or did I blow it?

Dude, this looks all good to me. Good preflop, love the flop bet, LOVE the turn raise and I wouldn't bet that river three handed against those guys either.

EP has clubs, methinks. It's the only thing that makes sense. I think you're good here fairly often but I think we make less when we're ahead by betting than we lose when we're behind.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:14 PM

I think it looks fine. Agreed that the turn raise is golden, although I'd like to hear what your plan is if it gets reraised by a.) EP, b.) SB, and c.) WAG.

Good demonstration of why we keep some flexibility in our reads.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:18 PM

I'd fold preflop. In general I'd call if there was one more coldcaller but if the PFR is as tight as you expect then I'm just folding.

Postflop looks good.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:20 PM

If EP 3 bets me, I go into calldown mode. If forced to face two cold; say EP 3 bets and MP caps, I'm gone.

At the time, I thought the turn raise was the only "smart" play, but I didn't get either the fold or re-raise action I thought I would get to better define the hand.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:18 PM

As a post-script, I needed to listen to my initial read and to Niedham. I finished 3rd. EP had KK. My read was right. WAG had T2s for trip 2's. Why had neither acted in character in this hand? What I had failed to notice was that they were more conservative when I was in a hand. My presense, my raises, altered their play. This was a rare instance where I needed to increase the "credit" I was giving my opponents because they were giving me "credit." Unfortunately, I really didn't figure it out until I worked through this post.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold preflop. In general I'd call if there was one more coldcaller but if the PFR is as tight as you expect then I'm just folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? REAAAALY? Wow.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, this looks all good to me. Good preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the OP's read that the raiser very likely has an overpair to his nines, then coldcalling after one, wild coldcaller does not look so good.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, this looks all good to me. Good preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the OP's read that the raiser very likely has an overpair to his nines, then coldcalling after one, wild coldcaller does not look so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're ever folding two nines on the button when it's not threebet you're a better player than I'll ever be and I salute you.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? REAAAALY? Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't lie. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]