Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 PM

Default homeless person encounter

so anyway I come out of the grocery and a homeless old lady rides up on a bicycle (pretty cool I thought for a homeless to have a bike, I mean it was a really crummy bike but good for gettting around), and asks me for change or whatever, and since it was a woman and she was real skinny and since bread was on sale if you bought 2 loaves I had 2 loaves and so I offered her a loaf of bread, she said ok, I kinda shifted and one bag opened and I was like take it, she looked at me and said is that wheat, I said yes (hello, it's bread), and she said oh I can't eat wheat (she elaborated a tiny bit but I can't remember), and pedaled off.

standard?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: homeless person encounter

[ QUOTE ]
so anyway I come out of the grocery and a homeless old lady rides up on a bicycle (pretty cool I thought for a homeless to have a bike, I mean it was a really crummy bike but good for gettting around), and asks me for change or whatever, and since it was a woman and she was real skinny and since bread was on sale if you bought 2 loaves I had 2 loaves and so I offered her a loaf of bread, she said ok, I kinda shifted and one bag opened and I was like take it, she looked at me and said is that wheat, I said yes (hello, it's bread), and she said oh I can't eat wheat (she elaborated a tiny bit but I can't remember), and pedaled off.

standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, your looking for the science forum. This is the theist/atheist argument forum. Also, no, it's not standard, but not completely out there either. Still, odd story, I enjoyed it.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 PM

If she's gluten intolerant then wheat can be really, really bad.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If she's gluten intolerant then wheat can be really, really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this was the first thing I thought of, its entirely possible she just cant handle gluten, celiac disease.

Which would REALLY suck if you were homeless, what with the skimpy menus at homeless shelters and the aphorisms about beggars and choosers.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Man you guy's have a bad read here.

She wanted cash, not bread. You can't buy whatever she really wanted with bread.

If she's wheat intollerant she would never had just said, 'ok,' She would have mentioned her allergy/intollerance then, not after looking in the bag . I suggest that all she was thinking while you were opening the bag was, 'Oh crap, now I've got to ride off carrying a crappy loaf of bread... Hang on, I can say I am allergic.'
Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

She wanted cash, not bread. You can't buy whatever she really wanted with bread.

If she's wheat intollerant she would never had just said, 'ok,'

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
she said oh I can't eat wheat (she elaborated a tiny bit but I can't remember)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I really agree with your sentiment either, there are different types of homeless people.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If she's wheat intollerant she would never had just said, 'ok,' She would have mentioned her allergy/intollerance then, not after looking in the bag . I suggest that all she was thinking while you were opening the bag was, 'Oh crap, now I've got to ride off carrying a crappy loaf of bread... Hang on, I can say I am allergic.'

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with hitch. Even if she was allergic to the wheat, since OP seemed willing to help her, she would have asked if you had anything else you were willing to give her.

Hungry people do not turn down food. Even if she's grossly allergic, she probably has homeless acquaintances she can help out or barter with. Worst case she goes into the store and asks to exchange it for something else. I've had homeless people accept half eaten chicken straight out of my pockets before, after I drunkenly got too impatient to wait for a takeout box. They gladly accept food in all instances.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:26 PM

A lot of times they say you get a discount if you buy 2 but that's really a trick, the item is on sale for $2.50 even if it's 2 for $5
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Had a bum hit me up for change "so he could get some food", and I happened to be carrying leftover mexican that I probably wasn't going to eat anyway, so I gave it to him. I looked back 20 seconds later and he was throwing it in the trash bin, food untouched. Sounds standard.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If she's wheat intollerant she would never had just said, 'ok,'

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
she said oh I can't eat wheat (she elaborated a tiny bit but I can't remember)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I really agree with your sentiment either, there are different types of homeless people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be one, so I'm not sure what you thought my 'sentiment' was? I have slept with drug addicts in the shop doorways of London, and smoked the cigarette ends they have offered me at 4am, after picking them up off the dirty wet street the day before.

I am above no-one in this world, and have zero ego about this kind of stuff, just telling it how it (this case) is.