Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Police Officer

Do you still find the job interesting? Is it how you imagined it would be when you were younger?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome thread man, thanks.

If you were approached by a lone guy who was bigger than you, and you were sure he was coming at you to assault you for whatever reason, what would be your immediate reaction? What if he was visibly unarmed vs. holding a beer bottle vs. holding a knife?

Is there some kind of code of procedure that dictates how you are to react in a situation like this (ie. where exactly would you use a gun or lesser weapon)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd keep my eye on him. If I felt like there was a threat, I'd try to make some distance either by walking out to the side or make some maneuver where I wouldn't walk right by him. If he was visibly unarmed, I'd probably still try to make some distance just in case. Holding a beer bottle, well, if he was outside, I'd ask him what he was doing. Holding a knife, I'd definitely stop and make verbal contact, and take it from there.

There really is no "code of procedure" since every situation will dictate itself based on the circumstances.

Deadly force should only be used when all other forms of force have failed to stop the threat and where my life is in danger. There is a thing called the "Use of Force Continuum" and it is imperative that you try not to be the escalator, but to react as they react.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you still find the job interesting? Is it how you imagined it would be when you were younger?

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved it when I first started. I'd go in on my own time just to gain some experience. I will admit though, it's not all that it is cracked up to be. Yeah, I've seen some things people will probably never see, and I've dealt with things that are basically nonexistent to everyday people, but it really works on your emotions like you wouldn't believe. I've also done some things where I feel good about myself and makes you find the reward in the profession.

Do I want to write citations? Not really. It's not because I don't want to do the work. It's because I have some personal issues on the effectiveness. Everyone makes mistakes and it's hard to find that balance where you uphold the law, but don't have it out for power and authority. I have come home many times wishing I didn't have to do what I had to do, thinking about how I handled situations, and have been upset with myself because I felt like I disappointed someone.

There are times where I just don't care and believe that people deserve what they get, but those are few and far between.

Lately I have been wondering if law enforcement is what I want to do for the rest of my life, but I'm going to stick with it until I decide to do something else.

A couple weeks ago I worked a double shift, which was 16 hours. We ended up having a house fire, possible arson, found drug paraphernalia, and I worked 28 hours straight, and was awake for 36. I was exhausted. That really made me wonder if I was doing the right thing. I've also had other issues, which if you are interested at all, you can search for my "Experience Required" post in Student Life.