Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: \"Lost\" Albums

Abbey Lincoln's Straight Ahead, featuring Max Roach, Coleman Hawkins, and Eric Dolphy is simply superb. I have this one on vinyl tucked away somewhere. Highlights include "When Malindy Sings" and the title song. Although Lincoln never became a star on the order of Billie Holiday or Nina Simone, she should have. Straight Ahead
Old 10-06-2007, 11:51 PM

Until I checked on Amazon, I didn't realize that so many people would remember Audience . Released in 1971, House on the Hill is probably their best effort. (I'm not sure I could stand this now, though.)
Old 10-07-2007, 12:45 AM

There's an album from the early '70's called "On the Road to Freedom" by Alvin Lee and Mylon LeFevre.

Lee was a well known blues/rock guitarist who fronted for the band Ten Years After and who was very well known for his performance at Woodstock. Lee wanted to make a departure from that trajectory of his career and found LeFevre who was a relatively obscure gospel singer with no real rock credits to his name.

The album (and it was vinyl, kids) was long one of my favorites though I've never heard it mentioned, never heard it receive airplay and have never known anyone else who has owned it or heard it played.

The supporting lineup of background musicians is remarkable as well (although the details are now a little fuzzy). George Harrison plays guitar (under a pseudonym) and may have co-written one of the songs. I'm pretty sure that Jim Capaldi and Rebop from Traffic appear on the album and I think Ronnie Wood is in at least one of the songs as well. The remarkable, super-group like collection of talent seeps through the album.

To my knowledge LeFevre never did anything similar again and has never really been a significant force on the music scene. He later became an evangelical minister in the south. Some now point to this album, which is not in any way overtly religious as something of a seminal album in the Christian rock movement. LeFevre has even been termed by some as a father of Christian rock based on the strength of this lone contribution.

Alvin Lee went on to produce many solo albums and has had a long career in that capacity. For those not familiar with his discography, he's somewhere between say, George Thoroughgood and Eric Clapton both in terms of musical style and popularity/success. If you're under the age of 40 you wouldn't really have any reason to know who Alvin Lee is but if you graduated from high school in 1969 he might be a big deal to you (and you still may never have heard of this album).

If you like the Allman Bros., early Clapton, Little Feat, Ozark Mtn. Daredevils and the like, you should track down this album.

+++
+++

Completely changing gears, if you like adult lounge music and its ancilliary branches, go through the offerings of Jenny Toomey.

She's had bands like Grenadine, Tsunami and Liquorice and a solo career as well. There's a wide range in there, everything from club/trance music to lounge style crooning. She and her band mates (when applicable) do a very smart, sophisticated range of songs. If you liked '90's era college/indie rock mixed with quality lounge era songs go up and down the list of everything Jenny Toomey has touched.

Here are a couple of tracks from her single album (I think its "Antidote". She does a mean cover of Curtis Mayfield's "Fool for You" http://www.rhapsody.com/jennytoomey
Old 10-07-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's an album from the early '70's called "On the Road to Freedom" by Alvin Lee and Mylon LeFevre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 53 now but when I was about 14 years old the big debate in my hicksville high school was whether or not Alvin Lee fronting Ten Years After or Grand Funk Railroad was the better band [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 53 now but when I was about 14 years old the big debate in my hicksville high school was whether or not Alvin Lee fronting Ten Years After or Grand Funk Railroad was the better band [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

My vote would have been Ten Years After........
Old 10-07-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, obviously...even though I have a soft spot for them, GFR was the Nickleback of the 70s.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, obviously...even though I have a soft spot for them, GFR was the Nickleback of the 70s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to look up Nickleback to place them in the correct decade. But I ran into a wall. From the Wiki "The neutrality of this article is disputed. Please see the discussion on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved."

~ Rick
Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to look up Nickleback to place them in the correct decade. But I ran into a wall. From the Wiki "The neutrality of this article is disputed. Please see the discussion on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved."

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Nickelback is a current best-selling, albeit much derided, rock band. Much like Grand Funk Railroad was.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM

I've got too many "lost albums" to put a dent in, but I keep coming across people who haven't heard of Leonard Cohen, so I'll mention his first album, Songs of Leonard Cohen .

Some of its songs were used in the sound track to McCabe and Mrs. Miller. The Stranger Song mentions "the holy game of poker," a phrase I still use after hearing it forty years ago. Amazon lists Cohen as a Folk artist, but I would hate to try to categorize him. Some of his more recent albums (Icelandic concert is worth checking out) contain more modern arrangements of his work.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 PM

I didn't know he was still kicking.