Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM

Default AKo on the button 5/5 NL live, 300bb stacks

This was kind of interesting because I played it so passively. I'd be curious who might play it more aggressively and why.

8-handed, 5/5 NL live, $1000 max buy-in.

Most players have between $600 and $1200. SB is short stacked with $300.

I have $1500.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

The only person who has me covered is a woman in MP with about $2500. She is playing semi-loose preflop, and very aggressively post flop. She will bet/3-bet top pair and better hands post flop, as well as some draws when OOP. She check/raises frequently when she isn't the preflop raiser and is playing OOP post-flop. In position when she isn't the preflop raiser, she will often call one street or maybe two on as little as a gut-shot, but then sometimes raise the turn even if she hasn't hit her hand yet. Other times she'll call again on the turn with a draw. She will also call down two or even three barrels from a preflop raiser if she has TPWK and she thinks the preflop raiser cb's light, but I've only seen her do this when she was in position.

When she is the preflop raiser, she will multi-barrel bet OP with made hands as well as semi-bluffs. On the river, however, very large bets are usually very big hands. She will bluff and even bluff raise small and medium pots on the river if she thinks it will win the hand for her.

It's also worth noting that she is a pretty good hand reader, and she can fold a good hand when she faces too much resistance on later streets.

The SB, the only other player of note for this hand, is playing a $300 stack with which he is playing "short stack" strategy of pushing any pair and any AJ-AK. He has lost his stack and rebought twice already.

Hand:

Folded to the woman in MP who raises to $40. This is a pretty standard raise for her.

Folded to me on the button with AKo. I usually reraise here. But this time I call for two reasons. First, I am hoping that the SB pushes for $300, in which case I fold if the deep stack reraises or calls, but call if the deep stack folds. Second, if she has a less than premium hand, then I don't want to take away the initiative from her on the flop if I hit my hand.

SB and BB both fold.

Flop (Pot = $85 after the $5 rake.)

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

She bets $80. I call.

Turn (Pot = $245). 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

She bets $150. I call.

River (Pot = $545). 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

She bets $250. I call.

Final pot ($1045).

Edit: The short stack was in the "SB" not the "BB." I made the change, above.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: AKo on the button 5/5 NL live, 300bb stacks

I would 3bet this preflop, especially this deep. Make it $175. I like the postflop play except that I would probably raise the river to $650 for value.