Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 12:06 PM

Default on caffeine (bad) and cayenne (good)

basically caffeine restricts your blood vessels and according to one book decreases bloodflow to your brain by 1/3.

I heard that cayenne pepper powder will increase blood flow and is good for you, so I went to the supermarket and got some in the mexican section in a little packet 1oz I think it was like 89cents.

based on a couple days of abstaining from caffeine and using some cayenne my observations are

a) after 2-3 day withdrawal (headache and stuff) from caffeine I feel better and more relaxed less stressed.

b) I think the cayenne does indeed work as advertised based on my personal experiences which we don't need to get into (basically erections lol), it's supposed to really be good for blood vessels and heart and stuff.

----

just posted because it's weird sometimes you don't realize how insidious caffeine is, it's in a lot of stuff, and as I went through withdrawals I must have been addicted.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: on caffeine (bad) and cayenne (good)

Supposedly people who drink coffee are 40% less likely to get cirrhosis of the liver, as well as less likely to get some other liver problems.

I used to think caffeine was basically evil, and I still think it's a drug and should be given respect accordingly when you consume it, but I've read enough positive speculations over the years that I've changed my mind.

Re: cayenne and chili peppers, they are supposedly great for you, but I wonder if more than a tiny percentage of people get anywhere near enough to make a difference. For instance, I think I read that chili peppers have even more vitamin C than oranges, but who is going to eat a chili pepper the size of a baseball, or enough smaller ones to simulate that size, to get that huge vitamin C benefit? I love spicy food, but by weight, I can't go through too many. What's the effective "dose" of cayenne or chili peppers per day to make any difference to someone's health?

Also, how fresh does it have to be? I'm sure plenty of cayenne powder sits around for years.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:48 PM

How do you eat a teaspoon of cayenne without burning your mouth to all hell ?

Caffeine is widely regarded by doctors as by the most effective/beneficial/safest sports performance enhancer. (for something you take right before, not as a program leading up to an event)
Old 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM

where did you get this info about restricting bloodflow to the brain? If it's true then I should probably abstain before playing poker.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, how fresh does it have to be? I'm sure plenty of cayenne powder sits around for years.

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems I remember Alton Brown saying that you should clean out your spice cabinet every 8 months to a year. I know I've had spices sit around for much longer than that though.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:33 PM

I just bought some cayenne powder to put in my chili. The expiration date is in 2014.

Also restricting bloodflow to your brain by 1/3 sounds like it would just kill you.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:56 PM

I have yet to come across literature that will stop me from drinking my double espresso every day. If you can find something for me, I'd very much appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:58 PM

i drink about 8oz of coffee a day. will i die?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Mary Enig writes like caffeine is the devil in her book Nourishing Traditions. All I know is that anything that gives me the [censored] like caffeine does can't be good for you.

BTW, Enig is (was maybe) the U of Maryland lipid biochemist who has fought for years and years to convince people that trans fats are bad.

http://www.enig.com/trans.html
Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I know is that anything that gives me the [censored] like caffeine does can't be good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably my favorite thing about morning coffee.