Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Question for Mason and the 2+2 authors about shorthanded NL

[ QUOTE ]
The author teams that are currently working on these no-limit books have each expressed interest in doing additional books. This possibly could be no-limit hold 'em, or it could be a different topic such as pot-limit Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

A PLO book would be HUGE and is a glaring omission in the 2+2 curriculum.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
or it may be considered that there isn't really much difference between the six-max and full ring games. I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference. There is more bluffing/semibluffing in 6max, and hand values change vs full ring.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or it may be considered that there isn't really much difference between the six-max and full ring games. I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference. There is more bluffing/semibluffing in 6max, and hand values change vs full ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

no

hand values change based on position
Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

True re: preflop starting hands.

But I was referring to the fact that top pair is a generally a stronger holding at 6max than full ring, for obvious reasons. The fewer the players in the game, the stronger 1 pair, bottom 2 pair, etc. becomes.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The author teams that are currently working on these no-limit books have each expressed interest in doing additional books. This possibly could be no-limit hold 'em, or it could be a different topic such as pot-limit Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

A PLO book would be HUGE and is a glaring omission in the 2+2 curriculum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone disputes that there should be one, I think the argument would be will it make money or not? From a publisher's viewpoint, obv that's the bottom line.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Albert:

The three no limit books are the two Harrington on Cash Games volumes and Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume II. I haven't seen any of this material so it is possible that the six max games will be covered, or it may be considered that there isn't really much difference between the six-max and full ring games. I don't know.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

Albert
Old 08-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Mason,

I'm pretty sure that the quality of any nl cash book out right now wouldn't at all compare to the quality of a book written by one of a few top online pros. I haven't read the last couple big ones, (and I've heard good things about PNL volume 1) but certainly none of the ones I've read would come close.

How important for sales is it to have a well known tv pro on the cover? I know it's important, but how much of a difference does it make? I'm not sure how I want you to quantify that, so however you think explains it best would be great.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason,

I'm pretty sure that the quality of any nl cash book out right now wouldn't at all compare to the quality of a book written by one of a few top online pros. I haven't read the last couple big ones, (and I've heard good things about PNL volume 1) but certainly none of the ones I've read would come close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read PNL1. It's excellent. Can't wait for PNL2 in which starting hands, range masking, and postflop play with hands other than 1 pair hands will be discussed.

Frankly, I am not quite sure how Harrington is going to "beat" the PNL team's offerings.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

True re: preflop starting hands.

But I was referring to the fact that top pair is a generally a stronger holding at 6max than full ring, for obvious reasons. The fewer the players in the game, the stronger 1 pair, bottom 2 pair, etc. becomes.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh

no

postflop hand strengths depend on preflop hand ranges

preflop hand ranges depend on position
Old 08-21-2007, 02:06 AM

You're paying more blinds per hand in 6-max. In full-ring you have 3 extra positions per orbit where you don't have to post, so you can afford to play tighter in positions 1-6 than you would in 6-max.