Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 10:27 PM

Default What\'s the best book for 6-max NL 2/4 and higher with 100bb max buyin?

I play live 5/5 NL max 1000 buy-in. A lot of the 2+2 books have theories and tactics that make sense in that game.

But I hang out a lot on the Medium Stakes NL forum where most posters are playing 100bb 6-max games at stakes of 2/4 to 5/10 or so. In those games, 3-betting light OOP, stacking off with overpairs, and playing KTo like its AK at a full ring game not only seem to be the norm, but appear to be +EV.

So, what book, if any, can explain how these guys think, and why their style in these medium stack, short-handed games is +EV?

I'm not particularly interested in playing in that game, but I would like to understand a little better why the way they play works so well for them. In the game I play, I'm pretty sure I'd be broke with a lot of the lines they take profitably in that game.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best book for 6-max NL 2/4 and higher with 100bb max buyin?

[ QUOTE ]
In the game I play, I'm pretty sure I'd be broke with a lot of the lines they take profitably in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably would. That's not a slam on you, but a comment on the differences between 6-max & FR NL.

I'd say the best book in this situation would be a Cardrunner's subscription.

It's all simple poker, really.

In short handed poker, the blinds come around so quickly that it forces you to get in there and mix it up.

Also, in short handed play the likelyhood of someone being delt a monster pocket is much smaller.

These two elementary poker truths mean that in short handed poker everyone's range is much broader than FR play. This creates a situation where marginal holdings really aren't that marginal, considering your opponent's likely range. And where position and aggression are far more important than your pocket cards.

So 3-betting light, floating the other guy's c-bet and playing top pair like it's the imortal nuts really is +EV.

I'm not a 6-max player by a long shot so I'll let some of the regulars take it from here, but the videos over are Cardrunners are probably the best insight into a pro 6-max player's thought process.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best book for 6-max NL 2/4 and higher with 100bb max buyin?

[ QUOTE ]
In short handed poker, the blinds come around so quickly that it forces you to get in there and mix it up.

Also, in short handed play the likelyhood of someone being delt a monster pocket is much smaller.

These two elementary poker truths mean that in short handed poker everyone's range is much broader than FR play. This creates a situation where marginal holdings really aren't that marginal, considering your opponent's likely range. And where position and aggression are far more important than your pocket cards.

So 3-betting light, floating the other guy's c-bet and playing top pair like it's the imortal nuts really is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That's a good response.

These videos? Or some other videos?

Also, even if the videos are the best, are there any books on this subject of medium stack, short-handed play?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:02 AM

That's the site. And no, there really aren't any books on short handed NL.

That's one of the things that makes it so profitable for expert players. The nature of the game forces people to get there and mix it up. And expert can use his superior post-flop skills to bitchslap weak players. Over and over and over...

And other than sites like Cardrunners, there realy isn't anything to hold the hand of a newbie and bring them along.