Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods Dealer venting, scene 2

You should have asked her to turn over her other card so you could make sure she wasn't mucking a winning hand. Once you have her trust you can run every play in the book on her the rest of her life.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Exactly. Proper procedure is for the dealer to take a mucked hand and kill it immediately (burying it so it can't be recovered). Seeing as they didn't do that, and the women realized she had a winner before his hand was killed, she has a right to turn them over and be awarded the pot for showing down the best hand.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2007, 06:42 PM

The dealers at the Woods get berated so much (some deserved) that I can understand why they may be a little slow to muck a hand that is half exposed to them in a called pot or in this case an all-in situation. Had you bet and the player tried to muck or made a folding motion without calling I would gladly agree with you that the hand should be killed instantly.

Out of curiosity do you care to share which dealer it was? New or experienced?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Do dealers keep their own tips at Foxwoods?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:02 PM

When I'm dealing, and a player at showdown tosses in the cards that way (one face-up, the other face-down), I don't want to muck a hand that was intended to be turned up. I'll hesitate a moment or two, to give the player the chance to retrieve the face-down card.

Anyone who thinks that my function is to look for opportunities to immediately muck face-down cards in an attempt to punish, does not understand my job at all (see: Jeffage).
Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 PM

If you're going to selectively tip, make sure you explain why you're giving the tip you're giving. Some dealers are good enough that I just give them $1 after the first hand and tell them it's because they deal fast. They know who I am and they deal fast the rest of the night at any table I'm at. Yippeee.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm dealing, and a player at showdown tosses in the cards that way (one face-up, the other face-down), I don't want to muck a hand that was intended to be turned up. I'll hesitate a moment or two, to give the player the chance to retrieve the face-down card.

Anyone who thinks that my function is to look for opportunities to immediately muck face-down cards in an attempt to punish, does not understand my job at all (see: Jeffage).

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I would rather make a mistake that results in the best hand winning, than make mistake that results in the best hand losing.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I would rather make a mistake that results in the best hand winning, than make mistake that results in the best hand losing.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm not sure if it's a muck I'll hesitate a bit.
But if you hesitate too long it's almost
encouraging the player to reconsider his muck.
Then the dealer is flirting with the "one player to a hand" rule.

How about 6 players at showdown. A-high straight on board.
One player tables his hand, other players start mucking.
Do you stop them from mucking and split the pot 6 ways?

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer sits there motionless for about 3 seconds. The woman then exclaims "oh goodness I have a straight!"

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like she didn't know she had a straight and was mucking.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about 6 players at showdown. A-high straight on board.
One player tables his hand, other players start mucking.
Do you stop them from mucking and split the pot 6 ways?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't stop anyone from mucking. I'm just saying that if there is any doubt whatsoever about whether a player is mucking then I'm not in a race to grab the cards.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I say to her "Should we turn our cards over?" and when she says nothing I just flip my QT over. She flips over just the A of diamonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
She picks up her cards and throws them towards the dealer. They go about halfway from the 9 seat, well over the "betting line", but do not touch the muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The A is still showing, the other card is still face down. The dealer, who is one of the worst at Foxwoods - and that is saying alot - sits there motionless for about 3 seconds. The woman then exclaims "oh goodness I have a straight!". She retrieves her hand from over the line and proudly displays her AK for the win.

[/ QUOTE ]

She turned up one card during banter after an all-in. Then, after seeing the final board and the OP's cards, she "picked up her cards and threw them toward the dealer" with the one card remaining up. It's not as if she threw her cards over in an attempt to show them and one accidentally remained face down. She was DISCARDING her hand. How hard is it to see that? And yes, I believe in this case the proper procedure would be for the dealer to take this hand that she obviously discarded, turn the upcard over and bury it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I said at all - I think your job is to pay attention to what's going on and muck a hand that it is pretty clear a player intended to discard after what she believed to be a better hand, not give her a few minutes to realize what she actually had and correct it.

Jeff