Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Foxwoods Dealer venting, scene 2

A few weeks ago I am at FW 10/20 and I get HU in a pot with the woman immediately to my left who raises me pre-flop. I have QT and the flop comes down QJx three diamonds. I bet the flop and she raises all-in.

I say to her "Should we turn our cards over?" and when she says nothing I just flip my QT over. She flips over just the A of diamonds. The turn comes T (not a diamond) and I say - that gives me two pair. The river is a blank.

She picks up her cards and throws them towards the dealer. They go about halfway from the 9 seat, well over the "betting line", but do not touch the muck. The A is still showing, the other card is still face down. The dealer, who is one of the worst at Foxwoods - and that is saying alot - sits there motionless for about 3 seconds. The woman then exclaims "oh goodness I have a straight!". She retrieves her hand from over the line and proudly displays her AK for the win.

I don't say a word at the time. Because I think it won't win me the pot anyway, and I was so angry that once I start venting it will take a lot to stop. Also, she is one of the worst players I have ever played against and I don't want her to get upset and leave.

On this dealers next shift I describe the scenario to a newly arrived player on my right, loud enough for the dealer to hear, and ask his opinion. He says "Thats awful you should have won that hand"... But he conceded that the Floor decision could have gone against me.

I do decide to not tip this dealer again for what amounted to about 6 pots the rest of the day. I blame the dealer because I believe that as soon as the cards were tossed she should have scooped them up and brought them into the muck.

I am interested in opinions about whether:
1) I should have called the Floor immediately
2) I should continue my tipping ban on this dealer. It should be noted that Foxwoods pools dealer tips - so by not tipping this dealer I am in effect punishing all dealers. Perhaps I should pick a favorite dealer and compensate by tipping them $2 per pot.

Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods Dealer venting, scene 2

The best hand won the pot-- sounds like the right outcome to me.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 PM

I don't really think you have a major gripe here. If the shoe were on the other foot, you might think to yourself you don't deserve the pot, but if your cards were in fact not mucked, and the dealer did in fact wait several seconds, you probably would have been happy with the dealer and continued tipping him, right? There are many situations where a dealer knows he can't win - no matter which way he goes, he's going to piss off one of the 2 parties. So which way does he go? He'd be getting tipped by the other woman, and if you left you'd be replaced by someone who would tip. You probably both did the right thing by keeping that woman at the table.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 PM

She's a [censored], but a [censored] with the best hand. Quit your whining.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 PM

your objective is to keep this woman happy so she will keep playing 10-20. Period. Giving up this tiny pot is a small price to pay.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Momma told me, if I can't say anything nice about a poster, don't say anything at all about the nit.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Yeah, I have to agree w/ some of the previous posters. Seems like you're being extra nitty here. My main problem is the fact that you feel that the dealer doing the wrong thing (killing the hand) is the right thing for him to do since it happens to work in your favor. I could totally see you arguing the other way if you had the AK and the dealer didn't muck the hand yet and you realized you had a winner. Also when interpreting rules you have to make sure that the rule follows the 'spirit' of the game. Killing a fish/noobs hand when they misread the board is contrary to the spirit of the game.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be noted that Foxwoods pools dealer tips - so by not tipping this dealer I am in effect punishing all dealers. Perhaps I should pick a favorite dealer and compensate by tipping them $2 per pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Tip half the dealers $2 per pot and half the dealers nothing. That'll show 'em!
Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM

I think others are correct in saying you should not be upset - the best hand won at showdown.

Your opponent's "muck" was questionable. She pushed her cards towards the dealer, but one of them was face-up. Nothing touched the muck. It sounds more like an infraction of the show both cards rule...and I assure you the purpose of that rule is not to punish fish and award pots to second-best hands. I have many times seen dealers handle this rule infraction by remaining silent and waiting to see if both cards are turned up.

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on the dealer's actions.

-Andrew
Old 08-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I think the dealer should have mucked the hand immediately when pushed forward. That didn't happen so the hand was easily retrievable and there doesn't seem to be any doubt those cards where hers so it is as it is.