Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Default First SNG - Did I goof?

Decided to play "Lightening Poker" effectively a computerized $40 buy in SNG. $34 from ten, 1st 2 places pay. 500 chips to start, 5/10 blinds increasing every 12 minutes.

I've managed to survive to the final 3, bubble time. I do some pushing, move to 2nd, but Ist place stack is more than twice mine. I've got about 1000 chips and blinds are now 100/200. I have 100 chip lead over 3rd place.

Big stack opens pre-flop for 600. I know this means he has real good but not invunerable cards. I look down at AQs in spades. I'm either all in or folding. Against 3rd place, insta-call. But against the big stack - should I fold and wait for my shot to make sure I am in the money, or do I go for it with my hand against the big stack?

I went for it. Tell me what is it about SNG's that would make me right or wrong please.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM

Default Re: First SNG - Did I goof?

Who is seated where?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 PM

Big stack = Button. I'm SB. 3rd place is BB.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 PM

Here is the basic info you need:

1. What is the big stack's range? Will he do this with any ace? Any king? Just pairs?

2. What is the payout structure? Without this, you can't possibly make a decision.

3. Is there any chance the big stack is folding to your push? Are there any hands he'd open with but fold to your push? I imagine there are none, but it's possible.

With those 2.5 pieces of info you can apply basic ICM to figure out if this was a good call. Post them here and we can help you out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 PM

It's close because of how close your stack is to the other short stack.

One of the biggest considerations here is how the big stack as been playing. If he's been raising every hand, this might be the time to get you stack in with him considering you are basically even with the other short stack.

However, if he has not been raising every hand, it means you have good position on the other short stack and might get some opportunities to steal from him, giving you a huge advantage.

Another consideration is payout structure. Top two pay, but what's the distribution? If first is a lot more than second, then I'd shove here. If first and second are more like 60/40 or 70/30 then I'd be more inclined to fold.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Instashove.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instashove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds are pretty darn good you're right.

I'm going to assume you're getting called 100% by the big stack and 0% by shorty.

Assuming the payout is 70/30 for first and second, and assuming the stacks are 3000/1000/1000 currently, you need to be 63% against his range to push. If the payout is more like 80/20, you'd need to be less of a favorite. If the payout was flat (50/50), you'd need to be a huge favorite.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instashove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it's an instashove...explain plz?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 PM

i don't see how you can pass this up. button's raising into 2 short stacks who he has well covered, and we only have t100 more chips than the bb, which means if he doubles up we're screwed. this is most likely going to be the best situation we will see and a double up can almost assure us of being ITM, while passing could potentially be disasterous for us.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Instashove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it's an instashove...explain plz?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my thoughts were that Villain's range is pretty wide and that AQs is probably far enough ahead to justify the call. If villain would make this move with a bunch of Q-high hands, for example, I think you'd have enough to call because you'd be dominating his hand so often.

I don't know if it's an insta-shove, but it seems at least like a good one to me.