Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, pig ignorant dealers will continue to whine and complain that they don't get enough.

If they don't disclose that the dealers receive a suitably large cut, there should be lawsuits. God I hate tip hustling dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe dealers at the WSOP get that great a deal. I think my math must be wrong. Management skims off 30% of their 1.8%, and doesn't treat them very well. And remember, this is a tough, part-time gig that dealers used to travel in for (do they still?). And if I remember rightly from last year, they aren't even allowed to smoke pot in the parking lot!

But I agree it's pretty scummy if these guys were getting $60 an hour and management tried hustle even more tips out of cashing players without telling them this.

I wish someone who actually played the events and knows the real story would chime in.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
probably the dealer hours, how did you get that number?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just guessing. I used an average of 100 tables per Day 1 (assuming they started at 150 and ended at 50), and 14 hours per day. 100 x 14 x 4 days = 5600 hours. If that's correct it's pretty hard to even get to 10,000 hours when you are already down to 1600 players by the day 2s. I think I must be off by a factor of two or three somewhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are very close indeed, and certainly not off anywhere near a factor of 2. Let's figure:

Day 1: 1600 players/day = 178 tables * 12 hours of play * 4 days = 8544 dealer-hours. However, this is clearly too high as there were not 1600 players for all hours. By the end of the day, there were less than 60 tables. Let's conservatively say 7200 dealer-hours.

Day 2. ~1150 players/day = 128 tables * 10 hours * 2 days = 2560 dealer-hours. End of day was about 410 players each day (46 tables), let's say 2000 dealer-hours.

Day 3. 820 players = 92 tables * 12 = 1104 dealer-hours. End of day was 337 players (38 tables), let's use 800 dealer-hours.

Day 4. 337 players = 38 tables * 11 = 418 dealer-hours. End of day was 112 players (13 tables), so say 300 dealer-hours. We're pretty much in the noise at this point.

Day 5. 13 tables * 12 hours = 156 dealer-hours. Only 5 tables at the end of the day, let's use 120 dealer-hours.

Day 6. 4 tables * 18 hours = 72 dealer-hours, we'll use 50.

Day 7. 1 table * 20 hours.

Total ~ 10,500 dealer-hours. Even if all tables ran all day it would only raise the total to around 13,000 dealer-hours.

At 10k hours, and assuming that Ferguson's $150k is correct, Yang effectively tipped each and every dealer about $15/hour for every hour they worked. That's more than generous and in his shoes I doubt that I'd tip anything more.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:58 AM

"Jesus" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

haha, love the title of this post.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:05 AM

Someone change the title of this thread. Or, lock it.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if I remember rightly from last year, they aren't even allowed to smoke pot in the parking lot!

[/ QUOTE ]

insert joke about dealer tokes

[ QUOTE ]
But I agree it's pretty scummy if these guys were getting $60 an hour and management tried hustle even more tips out of cashing players without telling them this.

I wish someone who actually played the events and knows the real story would chime in.

[/ QUOTE ]

When they cash you out, they ask, "would you like to leave anything extra for the dealers?" For my part, I said "no" but distributed about 1% of my win to a few different floor people and staff who I thought were undertaking the uphill task of actually working hard to make the tournaments better.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I go to a restaurant and they automatically add an 18% tip onto the check, and that's all we leave, I think it would be pretty lame to claim we "stiffed" the waitress. Yet that's the title of this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if I remember rightly from last year, they aren't even allowed to smoke pot in the parking lot!

[/ QUOTE ]

That sure didn't stop anyone from doing this.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never tip for MTT cashes. They take out far too much as it is

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on which State you are in.

In New Jersey they can't take anything out, so it is on you to "tip out" when you cash.

Vegas is different, where I believe they do take out a percentage for the dealers & floor.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:59 AM

Twenty years ago when I worked as a waiter, we would add whatever % on for parties of 8 or more. I would never fail to point this out to the customer when giving them the check. Failing to do so, hoping for double tipping, is tantamount to stealing as far as I'm concerned.

When I cashed out, the clerk's exact words were "would you like to leave something for the staff?" No mention was made of the fact that the staff had already added several thousand to my bill...

JG
Closed Thread