Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Re: PS3 60GB price drop to $499

Sony (or any other company) would obv never confirm officially that they're gonna announce a price drop in the coming weeks so that denial doesn't really mean anything.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at everyone judging the PS3's long term results based on its performance from 0 to 8 months after release. The 360 has been out for an extra year and is blurring everyone's vision.

The PS3 is going to get better and better. Recently released firmware upscales DVD's and old PS2 games, Ninja Gaiden was just released and got great reviews. Sony is not about to abandon this thing when it's only just now getting some legs under it.

Price cut was dismissed as a rumor today: http://news.com.com/Sony+has+no+plan...3-6195127.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say they were giving up on the PS3 or withdrawing from the market or anything like that. However, it is very safe to say that the PS3 is not taking off nearly as well as Sony as hoped (of course they will not admit this and try to keep all their press releases as positive as possible).

If you look at reality, both the 360 and the wii are blowing the PS3 out of the water. PS3 is going to be the gamecube of this generation. Big enough to get some good games and enough supporters to keep it going for the time being, but Sony has definitely lost several steps, and with how good the 360 and wii are hitting each day is going to make it harder and harder for the PS3 to catch up.

I'm not saying 360 or wii is better than PS3, PS3 could very well be the "best" system, but that does not mean it is going to succeed. There are also such things as price and how it is marketed. You could say apple has the "best" computers, but that doesn't mean they dominate the market.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at everyone judging the PS3's long term results based on its performance from 0 to 8 months after release. The 360 has been out for an extra year and is blurring everyone's vision.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to see the long term results to know that the system has massively underperformed thus in terms of both sales and gaming. Financial analysts smelled blood in the water a couple of months ago and predicted massive price cuts. The bad news is alot of analysts don't think the cuts will matter.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=164938
Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to see the long term results to know that the system has massively underperformed thus in terms of both sales and gaming. Financial analysts smelled blood in the water a couple of months ago and predicted massive price cuts. The bad news is alot of analysts don't think the cuts will matter.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=164938

[/ QUOTE ]

A quote from that article

"'all-in' cost for a PS3 console and basic accoutrements 20-25% higher than the comparable Xbox 360"

It should read: add wifi and HD-DVD to Xbox Elite and it is $200 more than a comparable PS3. That is not a reputable source. It fails to mention the yearly cost of playing online via Xbox 360 and the abnormally high hardware failure rate.

And you think the PS3 system has massively underperformed? It's only 8 months old. What you are seeing is the disadvantage of being released 1 year later than the 360. It will hit its stride. Add to that the strong possibility of blu ray winning the format war and the PS3 will crush.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It should read: add wifi and HD-DVD to Xbox Elite and it is $200 more than a comparable PS3.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming people care about wifi or HD-DVD player attachments to their gaming system. The sales are bearing out that most people don't.

[ QUOTE ]
That is not a reputable source. It fails to mention the yearly cost of playing online via Xbox 360 and the abnormally high hardware failure rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

$50 a year? How about the fact that X-box Live is far and away the best game network of the next gen consoles. I would much rather pay $50 a year for fantastic game servers than $200 more for a blu-ray DVD player.

[ QUOTE ]
It will hit its stride. Add to that the strong possibility of blu ray winning the format war and the PS3 will crush.

[/ QUOTE ]

PS3 still only has one killer app (Resistance). Xbox 360 has several. Many of the games that have been released on both systems are running better on the 360.

In addition to all that you have the Wii which is outselling the PS3 6 to 1. The Wii was released at the same time as the PS3 so you can't blame a late arrival for the fact that the Wii is boning it.

I'm not saying it can't improve and it probably will; but I'm glad I didn't pay $600 at launch for a system because it's eight months later and there's still only one game out for the PS3 that I really want to play. Thus far the PS3 has been a huge disappointment.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS3 : I'm at the end of my rope. I can't live another minute without poor, sweet 'Games' .
Fry : Too bad you aren't an alligator. You know, when you flush those things they stay alive in the sewers.
PS3 : Really?
Fry : Yep. My friend's cousin's caseworker saw one once. It's a widely-believed fact!

[/ QUOTE ]

PS3 will survive.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 AM

For anyone who is interested in getting a PS3, there is a mail in voucher in EGM for 5 Free Blu Ray discs with purchase of the PS3, so its an added bonus along with the price cut.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:39 AM

Ads are everywhere this week. Same ad at Target as CC, $499 with 5 BR movies. Some people already got lucky and got them at Target already.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 PM

According to VGChartz, the PS3 is selling as well as the XBOX 360 in the same amount of months after the release.

Could be artificial inflation, though - PS3 was released for the Christmas season.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:11 PM

with the 5 Free BR movies this seems like a really good deal.. how much do BR Movies go for? That's probably at least a 100 dollar value right?