Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Pushing Equity Edges In PLO8

I got into a debate at the table a few weeks back with a guy at the tables and this debate was brought to my eyes the way I played a hand last nite and I was just curious to find the general consensus of the community...

We were debating the merits of pushing equity edges in PLO8...We ran one of the hands he just played and he had just barely a 51:49 equity advantage on the flop when the money went in...He said he would do this all day and all night because he had the bankroll to do it...I argued that it wasn't a great play to do what he did because while he was ahead in that particular hand, his opponents range could have been wider and he could have actually been a dog in the hand...

At that moment I didn't think it was a great idea to push those kinda edges, then I really thought to myself, "you gotta be outta your mind NOT to push those edges if you have the proper bankroll for the game..."...And then I realized that is the way I play the game as well, pushing the equity edges...

Last nite I came up against my nemesis where I limp-called his raise with A553, sooted to the A...Flop came J24, rainbow (no backdoor flush possible)...He bet about pot, I repopped him pot and he beat me into the pot all-in with AJ28...At the time I had about $150, he had $90...This was IMO a beyond atrocious play on his part because he is gonna be a dog to 99% of the hands I am doing that with and A8 isn't exactly the greatest low on the planet...

Now is that a play that most of you would make? Or is this just a long-term losing play? Not really looking at this hand specifically because I will put my entire net worth on the constant running of these hands heads up on that flop and will come out with a nice tidy profit...I'm looking at a more general view, is a check-raise the proper play here, knowing that his range of hands we are most likely ahead of...Also is a check raise here the proper play if we are playing deep (200+ BBs each)?