Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Playing Against A Nemesis PLO8

No [censored]...I probably should!!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Rando, don't get me wrong I woulda saved about $120 playing it that way...BUT the fact that he had that hand and like I said my read was that he was, why the hell not try to bust his sorry ass?? I mean if you can put your opponent on AAxxcc (and he actually had AAxx with trip clubs) then shouldn't you be willing to jam as a 65:35 (aroundabouts) favorite and not let him get there for cheap??? The hands we have played before definitely influenced my play of this hand...The only thing that woulda worried me if he had a Broadway out, but I didn't want to be looking for "monsters under the bed"...

It's just really hard not to get frustrated when the same guy keeps beating on your ass over and over and over and over again...After the hand was over I flipped out and started to TILT, but I went into tilt control mode and just started folding every hand that I got dealt until I calmed back down...And thankfully it worked...
Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hit my wheel on the turn fired out 75% pot was called by the other guy and my nemesis raised pot...I didn't even think twice about mucking it

Being able to fold the wheel makes you part of the PLO8 elite [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sensing a little sarcasm here bbart!! haha...
Old 06-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Actually wasn't being sarcastic, it just reflects the low stakes I play at [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I think 90-95% of the players at $0.25 through $1 PLO8 will never fold the wheel. I remember being astounded the first time I saw someone lay it down at $0.25 - we both had A3xx and had flopped the wheel, he folded to my raise (which was disappointing because I had a freeroll to a flush and he had no way to improve). You don't see that at those stakes too often.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:35 PM

Like I said most of the time this isn't a laydown I make...But it just felt like one of those situations where I was smoked and I've been trying to cut out the [censored] calls that I make sometimes when I know I'm smoked...So far, so good!!! Saved me about $30-40 probably because the other guy had the A4 as well...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to solict some opinions from you guys about how to play against a nemesis opponent...I've played hundreds of thousands of hands of PLO8 over the past 14 months and have had a good amount of success so don't take this as a bitching and moaning bad beat post...

But against this one opponent I just can't seem to do anything right...Now he's a good player, which I won't take away from, but he seems to run like he has a horseshoe permanently stuck up his ass and I'm at my wits end in trying to figure out how to play against him...I've tried fast-playing strong draws/stong hands and slow-playing strong draws/strong hands and pretty much everything in between...But everytime we get involved in a big pot he ALWAYS gets the best of me to the point I have really no clue of how to play him...

Like tonite for example...I limped with QQ34 ds in MP and he raised from the blind...Now I was playing multiple tables and I didn't really put him on a hand at that point, but I'm like [censored] it I'm calling and am gonna try to flop a set and bust his ass (which he ALWAYS does to me, calls with a pair and dodges my draws)...Flop is a semi-beautiful QT8, 2 clubs...He bets pot into me and I INSTANTLY know he has AAxxcc...I raise pot and he goes all-in...I don't have to tell you what the turn peeled off and the river didn't peel off...If the situation was reversed I would pretty much guarantee the result would have been different...Now yeah if I put him on that I probably should have peeled, but I FINALLY had him on the ropes...

Any suggestions of how to play against a guy who holds over you would be greatly appreciated...

[/ QUOTE ]

I play HU sit n gos but i have the same problem. This guy has the nuts when i have the 2nd nuts, he overplays draws and consistently catches them, and he never folds a set.
If i have the 2nd nut low draw and the nut flush, he catches a boat, and the low never comes, etc... (ok you get it.)
The worst part about it is that this guy wins 95% of every preflop all-in we have, regardless of how big of a favorite i am. It's really sick. I even thought he was somehow cheating at one point but then i realized he'd consistently get his money in bad and suck out.[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].. but i guess it's just one of those things.
And he thinks he's good, that's the most amusing thing.
My advice would be to play him the way you would play anyone, with your main goal being to make as much money as possible.

Eventually his b.s. will stop and the horseshoe will get removed from his arse... just like how it will happen to the donk i've been having trouble with.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:35 PM

I think that is the best advice, DON'T try to be the nemesis in the pot...I think Ted Forrest said something like that on HSP on GSN...He was like you have to take your ego out of it, if you lose a pot to a guy don't try to beat him in a pot...Take the money from wherever it comes from...
Old 06-30-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take the money from wherever it comes from...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like from me... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rando, don't get me wrong I woulda saved about $120 playing it that way...BUT the fact that he had that hand and like I said my read was that he was, why the hell not try to bust his sorry ass?? I mean if you can put your opponent on AAxxcc (and he actually had AAxx with trip clubs) then shouldn't you be willing to jam as a 65:35 (aroundabouts) favorite and not let him get there for cheap???

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there is no argument against your math, of course. Anecdotally, I have been in this spot so many times and I almost always feel a lot better jamming safe turns rather than the flop. I find too many people who are willing to call a jam with two cards to come, and if you're about 80% to get a safe turn, I like the insurance that comes with waiting one street. If I'm 2:1 and can take a roughly 3 or 4:1 chance to see one safe card then jam it to better odds, I just like the way it feels and it does manage variance better than a straight math play on the technically correct street. Hope that makes sense. It seems to me like variance against this guy is like sand in the vaseline.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:54 PM

Absolutely no argument there from me...I don't think it is an incorrect way to play the hand at all and usually against multiple opponents I would take the wait and see approach...I acutally don't know what the villian would do on a non-club turn if I just called...Don't know if he would lead at it or just check-call if it was a non-club low...