Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 AM

Default 100/200 rio hand v teddy\'s friend

my recollection of when this occurred during the session is kinda hazy so bear with me. villain is jay, he seems to be good buds with teddy. he looks and speaks like vin diesel but with slightly more hair.

he is very aggressive and also seems good, but i didnt play for long and could be wrong about this. he 3-bet my ep opens a ton (most of the time i 4-bet), but this was probably the first or second time we tussled properly.

i believe the game was 6-7 handed at this point. i open AK utg, he 3bets, folded round to me, i 4, he calls.

542cc i bet, he calls
Tc i bet, he raises,

i decide now is a good time to look at my suits. yeah i know i suck, i really need to memorise these before the hand. i will learn. anyway, i have the Ac, yippee. i stall a little to try and disguise my increasingly obvious hand, then call.

river Ax

i?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Re: 100/200 rio hand v teddy\'s friend

Bet/Call

looks like a slow played big PP.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:26 AM

Bet/fold because nobody bluff raises this river.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold because nobody bluff raises this river.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible the opponent was bluffraising the turn with a worse ace and will now value raise the river with same? (AxQc or similar)
Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 AM

IMO no this is not possible. Live players are quick to put people on AK and if he donks this river that's exactly what his hand looks like. Also, they never expect anyone to fold AK here so the raise would clearly be for value unless they are a maniac, and then they don't put you on a hand anyway so its sort of irrelevant.

Also you could argue to check/call river to induce a bluff but I think given the particular card that fell it will go check/check when you are good and he'll only bet when you are beat. So I guess if you think there are just too many combos that beat you check/fold is a decent play to consider too.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-13-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess if you think there are just too many combos that beat you check/fold is a decent play to consider too.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to learn live... Beside ATs or a hand like KcQc nothing is really beating you on the river. I usually bet/call here because most people at this level are aware of the bet/fold line on the river and will sometimes raise you on the river with less than the goods. The fact you have the Ac reduce the likelihood of him having a flush too.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:48 AM

Bet/fold. DD's reasons are spot on.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:16 AM

If i ever get around to playing with you guys, im totally bluffraising AQ or worse in this situation and value raising AK or better.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:16 AM

Some people say I'm the king of overplaying AK, but this is exactly why I like to 3 bet this turn. You can't be drawing dead and his response gives you a pretty good idea if a pair of aces can be any good or not. Not to mention that it puts him to a tough call down with a decent portion of his pocket pair range.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:12 AM

Hey DD-

Trying to put myself in villian's shoes...

Suppose I raised hero on the turn with 7c7x and gotten called. Some hands I would include in his range are pocket pairs also containing a club. Now if he donks an ace river, I'd have to consider that it might be a two-way bet (i.e., he might be betting something like JcJx hoping I made a free show down raise with a smaller pair/flush draw, or if not, that I might spaz and fold two red queens or even kings). This wouldn't be a terrible bet considering the pot size. So I think it's correct to raise the river X% of the time with two sevens.

I just think that when an opponent is the type who will sometimes try and out-think you, hands you deem to have enough value to bet the river, probably still have enough value to call a raise.