Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Suggestions/discussion of new FAQ for forum

It's time to udpate the beginner forum FAQ and we're looking for feedback on what should go in it and any good threads that should be linked in it.

One place to check out is the beginner poker wiki. I think it should definitely be linked, and I think that it could serve as a template for our FAQ here.

Raze's pooh bah post is a good story of working your way up and worth a link.

Some thinking points...
-What beginner questions did you have when you started that should be addressed in a FAQ?
-What questions pop up repeatedly that need to be addressed in a FAQ(What do the numbers xx/xx/xx mean? for example)?
-Have you read any posts here that have really helped you in the beginning stages of the game(please provide link)?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Suggestions/discussion of new FAQ for forum

Everyone always asks how to make a graph...

Someone should explain pokergrapher:
http://overcards.com/wiki/moin.cgi/PokerGrapher
Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 PM

I was looking for agood list of abbreviations used here. The link on the left is kind of weak; I know that there is another list of abbreviations - anybody gat a link to it?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:09 PM

This is a useful linky dealing with calculating outs.
http://www.tightpoker.com/poker_odds.html

This was also posted in a thread about the likely hood of a certain hand winning against another, and some posted up a template for it and i used a calculator to fill it in.

Pair over pair (e.g. AA vs 77) - 81% vs 18%

Pair vs. two undercards-e.g.AA(85%) vs J7o(14%),AA(81%) vs QJs(18%),AA(83%) vs JTo(16%),AA(88%) vs KQo(12%)

Pair vs. two overcards e.g - JJ(57%) vs AQo(43%), JJ(54%) vs AQs(45%),

Pair vs. on undercard and one overcard- e.g. JJ(69%) vs A9s(31%),JJ(72%) vs A9o(28%)

Pair vs. same card and one undercard - e.g. JJ(90%) vs J7o(10%)

Same overcard vs. different undercard - (e.g. Ajo(69) vs A7o(23%)

Same undercard vs. different overcard - e.gAJo(74%) vs KJo(25%),

Two overcards vs. two undercards - e.g. AJo(64%) vs 97o(36%)

One overcard and one undercard vs. two middle cards - e.g. A7(57%) vs KJ(42%)

It might be too big to post in a sticky, so maybe give a link to a pokerstove or something similiar.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:39 AM

I like this idea of a new FAQ.

if I had my way I'd put the answer to "what does x/y/z?" mean at the front and center because that seems to be the #1 repeat question and putting it half way down a FAQ may cause it to get missed when a noob opens an like and does like a 2 second scan of the content.

naturaly Im limit-biased but a link to the Micro-Limit FAQ would be good and also a direct link to the MicroLimit Wiki that can be found in there (because people can be lazy or just want things spoonfed).

I havent really checked out many of the FAQs/stickies from other forums but there most be some good ones out there for NL cash and tourneys etc. I wouldnt link to them all but perhaps a collection of links of the best ones that cover the various aspects of 2+2 would be goot.

Also as a past organiser of Session Reviews I'll be neglecting my Session-Review-A-Pimping duties if I failed to mention that they are a great tool for people to get better so they may deserve at least a passing mention in said beginners FAQ. NL FR are also running reviews now so they cater for more than just the limit crowd at the moment.

finally, I'd just like to mention some issues of protocol when posting that could be addressed if not already in the wikis etc
1. post in the right forum
2. use a proper converter
3. cut the action at a decision point
4. give reads, or at least say you dont have any
5. dont post results or give away hands
(these are the standard lines that get rolled out in the limit micros to new posters)

2c
Old 05-14-2007, 03:04 AM

1) How to use Poker Tracker and interpret their numbers (means and meanings, not to be confused, by that I mean Poker Tracker averages and meaning of VPIP, PFR, ect.)

2) How to post a hand and get the converter set up correctly

3) Tip threads for newbies (Otto had one in his opening statement,
one by QTip "To the New, Aspiring Player
#3812872 - 10/30/05 01:31 ,
HouseCalls 1000th post 1000th post - What I (should) Have learned in the Micros (tl;dr)

4) In depth discussion of pot odds (besides poker tracker number interpretation this is a very common question)

5) Beginners bankroll discussion on LHE and NLH (althought this is technically a Theory topic is deserves discussion here)

6) Beginners books and then some advanced beginners books to focus on. If I could recommend a few they would be SSH, Winning in Low Limit HE, ToP, HEFAP, King Yao and Odds.

That's all...I think [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking for agood list of abbreviations used here. The link on the left is kind of weak; I know that there is another list of abbreviations - anybody gat a link to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many 2+2 specific acronyms that we may need to make a new list.

Wikipedia has a decent list of poker terms (not acronyms) here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poker_terms

Among the topics that need to be covered:

1. Bankroll and variance: Suggest linking appropriate pzhon and BruceZ posts such as

Derivation of the bankroll equation

Also link an online bankroll calculator and a results simulator. Here are some examples:

http://www.castrovalva.com/~la/bank.htm

http://support3.com/poker/bankroll/

http://www.castrovalva.com/~la/win.htm

2. Software: Some basic info on PT and related programs. Link to hand equity calculators. Include a reference to the software forum, where new stuff is getting cooked up all the time.

3. Books/DVDs: not sure if this topic would be allowed since it could be interpreted as an endorsement by 2+2.

4. Odds: Link to a good odds chart. I recommend Lostwages' chart, which is here

http://home.houston.rr.com/texasholdempoker/odds.htm
Old 05-14-2007, 07:27 AM

Being new here, I agree with a list of acronym and poker term definitions. I've figured most of them out (the acronyms), but still not sure on a few.

Some in depth explanations of pot odds, implied odds, EV, etc. would be nice too, I've noticed a lot of repeat questions on these and I've only been here a month [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being new here, I agree with a list of acronym and poker term definitions. I've figured most of them out (the acronyms), but still not sure on a few.

Some in depth explanations of pot odds, implied odds, EV, etc. would be nice too, I've noticed a lot of repeat questions on these and I've only been here a month [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest that we use the content found at the Poker Wiki as a starting point for many of the answers to questions like these, since they have mostly been answered there already.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 AM

The wiki is very well done - thanks to the guys who put it up(I think your were involved in that Sheridan?). I'd like to copy some of the information and put right into the FAQ since I think we should make it as easy as possible to find the answers to the basic questions that people have.