Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation

Old 12-05-2006, 09:13 AM

Default UIGEA Enforcement forum?

For the second time in several days I see a banner at Stars regarding problems with financial transactions. I have to believe this is UIGEA related. Shouldn't we have a place to talk about enforcement and its day to day impact as we move into the regulatory phase of this legislation?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Re: UIGEA Enforcement forum?

There's nothing to discuss as the regulations haven't even been drafted yet.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:11 AM

Default Re: UIGEA Enforcement forum?

I expect that discussion of the impact of the legislation will continue in this forum.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Why not call it the Aiding and Abetting forum ?

I am being only partly facetious. I think that the 2+2 general readership has shown no interest in trying to shape or affect the Regulations to come. They would rather take it in the chest, then discuss either how "unfair" it is or how it can be easily circumvented by 1% of the players willing to do so.

Your proposed forum would get nothing constructive in terms of affecting what is regulated, a legitimate topic. Rather, you would get a lot of blather about how "the sites" are good, bad or indifferent or how if you install a flux capcitator, you can still deposit and play or mask your IP.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Why not call it the Aiding and Abetting forum ?

[ QUOTE ]
I am being only partly facetious. I think that the 2+2 general readership has shown no interest in trying to shape or affect the Regulations to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am also somehwat concerned that the traffic in this forum has slowed down considerably... however, it is partly a refection that there are still enough sites to play on and ways to transfer funds, for the moment... in other words, business as usual.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am being only partly facetious. I think that the 2+2 general readership has shown no interest in trying to shape or affect the Regulations to come. They would rather take it in the chest, then discuss either how "unfair" it is or how it can be easily circumvented by 1% of the players willing to do so.

Your proposed forum would get nothing constructive in terms of affecting what is regulated, a legitimate topic. Rather, you would get a lot of blather about how "the sites" are good, bad or indifferent or how if you install a flux capcitator, you can still deposit and play or mask your IP.

[/ QUOTE ]
At last, an optimist!

Seriously, I hear you talking and I am as guilty as anyone in just whining and returning to business as usaul, until I return to whine again after the next big decision is made.
Then I'll act like there was nothing I could have done in the first place.
Yes, I embrace the Slacker Manifesto!!!
(...but with a guilty conscience.)
Old 12-05-2006, 03:06 PM

Precisely. It is compounded by the lack of apparent action, other than self-congratulation, by the PPA.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:26 PM

Well, there isn't anything going on. Congress is basically done for the year (and will pretty quiet until February)

Other than waiting on the regulations, reviewing judicial action and arguing over the next steps, not much to talk about.

Until total (or near total) US access to online poker happens, this may well be a calm forum. Our posters are smart enough to realize they can still play.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Regulatory Trench Warfare: Think the PPA has the guts ?

"Other than waiting on the regulations"

With all due respect, no one should "wait on the regulations". I agree that there is not likely any effort being made before January to promulgate anything or even assign anyone to the task.

However, a PPA worth its salt would be finding out who IS likely to be assigned to write/review the "proposed" regulations and influence their view. This is much better than "waiting" for a fait accompli to be published in the Federal Register, after the anti-gambling folks have occupied the regulatory high ground.

It ain't pretty, it IS relentless, and it is almost as much a part of "the law" as the fights on the Hill.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Regulatory Trench Warfare: Think the PPA has the guts ?

Completely agree.

That doesn't really increase forum traffic though.

I'm skeptical that is going on, but haven't done the due dillegance (sp?) to track down if they are or aren't.