Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 02:42 PM

Default look at the last 30 years, dude

The GOP is the party that has for 30 years given aid and comfort to religious hysterics. Yes, I blame them. Of course I do. Religious hysteria -- plus anger at the loss of various creepy church's precious monopoly on gambling when the only legal outlet people had was bingo -- is the heart and soul of anti-gambling legislation everywhere. And the GOP panders to it and has made it socially unacceptable to stand up in public and say what everybody knows, which is that churches are a bunch of sharks preying on stupid people afraid of death. There is no poker player on this earth as expert at separating the fish from his money as the churches. And they damn well don't like competition.

And the GOP plays to this crowd and forces everyone else to play to this crowd or be socially, financially, and politically ostracized. That's the reality here. When I was a child, the rabid foam-at-the-mouth fundamentalist nutjob was just that, a vulgar and crazy person best to be avoided by nice, normal people. Now they're in charge. The GOP with its relentless pandering of these thieves did that. Let's not kid ourselves here. Online poker is just collateral damage in the long campaign to turn this country into a theocracy.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Is anybody else closing out their accounts?

If a democrat/republican voted against it. What would all the adds be in the next election?

So and so is soft on terror and security! He voted against the port security bill!!!! How can you trust your safety to him???????

Political douche baggery to attach a bill to a must pass bill (no debate done for the religious right).

Political suicide to oppose it. Are you all that nieve?

Republican attached it= Republican fault in this case at least.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at the vote.I wouldn't lay this just on the republicans.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why it was put on the Port bill. One that people wouldn't vote against.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:49 PM

I have some relatives who live in Tennessee. I asked them if Frist had ever done anything good for anyone that they had heard of. They laughed at the very idea and said no.

Young people who are not politically informed should google around for the story of Bill Frist. The Kitten Killer is a real winner in the game of life, to put it mildly. A bad man and a bad wizard. If he ever becomes president, we older folks might as well sell our spare organs for the extra cash and move to China. We'll have a better chance of getting decent health care over there. OK, exaggerating slightly, but I do not like Mr. Frist.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:50 PM

1. Most Republicans are not religious rightists.
2. How do you get "Republicans" from 409-2?
3. " Their moral code should be your moral code." What kind of conformist nonsense is this? I'm not even a Republican. Politics isn't about "us versus them" or being in a club. It's thinking about what's best for the people. If you want to pretend 37 tax %=good and 33% tax=evil because its the party line please don't vote. Let the serious folks govern for you. This isn't about you fitting in.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:53 PM

Default Re: look at the last 30 years, dude

The Democrats will back ANYTHING that increases the size and power of the state, period.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at the vote.I wouldn't lay this just on the republicans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you don't understand the political process.

The vote was on the port security bill generally. Senate Democrats actually considered stalling the entire bill because of the gambling provisions, but decided against it because they would mean not getting port security done.

It's cool whether anyone here is a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, or whatever. But nobody should believe for one second that the internet gambling ban was pushed by anything other than the Republican leadership. Without Frist's "leadership", this bill never would have become law.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. How do you get "Republicans" from 409-2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please see my response above. Republicans pushed the internet gambling ban, period. Democrats did not. To claim that somehow specific support for the internet gambling ban is equally "bipartisan" is simply wrong.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:09 PM

409-2 has nothing to do with it. Frist pulled a political play to lock Dems out of the conference that attached the Internet gambling language to the port security bill, which no one was going to vote against. So the Dems against tacking on the gambling stuff were left to squeal like pigs.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: look at the last 30 years, dude

[ QUOTE ]
Online poker is just collateral damage in the long campaign to turn this country into a theocracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the big picture in a nutshell. Internet gambling is a small battle in this large war.