Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

I was at a house party once....girl overheard I played poker for a living...I was like F ME another boring night of explaining how you can actually make money playing poker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

BUT turns out she's from Las Vegas and her dad has been playing poker for a living for over 20 years [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...we talk it up...get to know eachother..and that night I got a drunken bj [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ....best random hook up of my life [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2006, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People always want to learn how to do it too or the cliche... "Hey man, what if I give you $300 of my money for you to double it, can you do that?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets this.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Since then whenever I've mentioned anything that involved me spending money (like purchasing a larger house, getting a new car, going to Hawaii, etc...), my co-workers will say things like "Good run at poker, eh?" It's annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would [censored] infuriate me.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at a house party once....girl overheard I played poker for a living...I was like F ME another boring night of explaining how you can actually make money playing poker [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

BUT turns out she's from Las Vegas and her dad has been playing poker for a living for over 20 years [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...we talk it up...get to know eachother..and that night I got a drunken bj [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ....best random hook up of my life [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] YOU VERY MUCH FOR RUINING THIS PITTY PARTY!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:58 AM

All my buddies just assume I'm a degen, but I never talk about winnings; I just tell them about the days I drop a grand and go out for some beers. None of them think I make any money, so they dont want to talk about it. I might run into some of the above problems when I get a new car early next year though since I've been unemployed since April 1. But yeah, I hate talking to ignorant people about it.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People always want to learn how to do it too or the cliche... "Hey man, what if I give you $300 of my money for you to double it, can you do that?"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, its sick how often I get this.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-25-2006, 01:01 AM

reason to pretend that you dont play: I went to my college orientation, and my roomate decided to have a 5$ "poker tournament" wiht 6 other kids in our dorm room. Three of them being girls. I watched the "tourny" after telling them i didnt know how to play. It was then explained to me while being :coached: by the hoster why it is ok to call raises with 56 oop, because the raiser probobally has high cards, so he wont expect it if u hit a 5... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

P.s. he didnt know what being oop was :/
Old 08-25-2006, 01:04 AM

what about this " if I make an account and we play together, we can both play at the same table and tell each other our hands over the fone!! WE CANT LOOSE!!!!"
Old 08-25-2006, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All my buddies just assume I'm a degen

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this is going to sound so stupid but....

degen = degenerate??!? I always just thought it was 2p2er Degen's last name or something. I can't believe I actually just looked up degen at dictionary.com, then sat there confused for a minute before I figured it all out. woo!

Also I have this same problem, for some reason I only talk about my losses if at all so I keep getting questions like "so you think you're up overall?". ugh.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:06 AM

I've never gotten a negative reaction when I tell people I play for a living. I usually have to answer a question or two but that's it, so I don't mind it. But one time at a live tourney I didn't want to let out that I was a "pro" so when asked if I played alot, I said "Just a little bit online, not much". So most of the rest of the day was the kid with 2 months experience telling me about the finer points of the game. Nice guy, but ya, I know to play tight prelfop.