Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 06-20-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Who Else Plans to \"Go Dark\" During the WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
Last year I followed it live on a webcast.

It was in many ways better than the TV footage. Every hand was discussed, and they had drop in pros offering estimates of how poeple were playing. Also, live is always better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though it's incomplete, the live online coverage of the past two years was much better than ESPN's edited TV coverage. By waiting for the TV show, a person is depriving himself of the better show.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Though it's incomplete, the live online coverage of the past two years was much better than ESPN's edited TV coverage. By waiting for the TV show, a person is depriving himself of the better show.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how good the online coverage is:

I was out there last year, and my buddy came with me. I busted on Day 1A. On Day 1B, we go back to the Rio Pavillion around mid-afternoon, hoping gather some news about what has happened that day in the ME. We get a bunch of sketchy, incomplete hearsay from other observers (Guy One: "I think Phil Hellmuth was over at table 80, but he's not there anymore, so I think he got busted"; Guy Two, responding to Guy One: "No he's over at the TV table now and I heard he's got a huge stack"; Guy Three, responding to One and Two: "No, he just got his AA cracked by 72o, he's been crippled and he's almost out"; Guy Four, responding to them all: "No, he had AA and doubled through the guy on his right, so now he really does have a huge stack!", etc. etc.) So my buddy and I hang around for a while (don't really find out anything -- other than what we can see with our eyes, which isn't much, because it's so crowded); then later that night, we head back to our hotel room, go to CardPlayer, and catch up on all the news.

We wake up around noon on Day 1C, planning to head back to the Rio just to find out what's going on. As we're walking out of our hotel room, we just look at each other and say "[censored] it, let's just go check on CardPlayer".

In other words, online coverage is so good, it's better than being there live.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:56 PM

I tried this for the Heads Up Poker Championship and it didn't work. That was a minor event, not as well covered and occured within a shorter window(event to TV) than the WSOP so I don't think you'll have much luck.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:03 PM

okt,

So you're telling me that last year you heard somewhere that a mortgage broker won the WSOP and then a couple episodes in you notice there are two mortgage brokers playing. And those two guys end up being 1 and 2. That's funny.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okt,

So you're telling me that last year you heard somewhere that a mortgage broker won the WSOP and then a couple episodes in you notice there are two mortgage brokers playing. And those two guys end up being 1 and 2. That's funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not OKT but I'll throw my .02 in
I knew about Hachem before hand but from the way they were covering Dannenman on ESPN you could tell he was going to atleast the final table. As far as Hachem, he never appeared on the broadcasts until the money bubble when all of a sudden they show him going all in and doubling up and Norman Chad makes some comment like "he's along way from winning" or something like it. It seemed out of place not sure if I could have put it together if i didn't know though.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okt,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was weird that both of the mortgage brokers finished 1 and 2. And it would have been fun not knowing which broker actually won but sadly i also found out it was an Aussie shortly after i found out it was a mortgage broker that won. So that thinned the heard out some.