Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 09:21 PM
 is offline

Default Re: Who Else Plans to \"Go Dark\" During the WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
why not play the main event and win yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I'm playing. I was just figuring worst case scenario.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:23 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Its just not worth the hassle to try to go dark. Ive tried this the last two wsop's and failed.

In 04 i accidently read in sports illistrated the winners name (raymer) at the time i never heard of him before and i just read one short sentence. The name didint sink in and i forgot it. Then a couple weeks b4 04 wsop aired PokerStars was nice enough to have a big pop up congratulating Greg Raymer for his WSOP win.

In 05' i heard over the radio ( a non poker show) that a mortgage broker won the event. So a couple episodes in i knew either Steve Dan. or joe hachem won.

Its just not worth the hassle. You have to avoid every poker site, poker forum, and sportcenter for a few months. And even then u might find out by some passing bystander bringing it up or reading it on some news scroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did so well last year. Until like 5 days after the Main Event ended, I thought it was finally safe to watch SportsCenter. Sure enough, on the top 10 plays of the week, I see a dark-skinned man celebrating with the Australian flag wrapped around him. Obviously, it didn't take long to figure out which guy won once I started watching.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its just not worth the hassle to try to go dark. Ive tried this the last two wsop's and failed.

In 04 i accidently read in sports illistrated the winners name (raymer) at the time i never heard of him before and i just read one short sentence. The name didint sink in and i forgot it. Then a couple weeks b4 04 wsop aired PokerStars was nice enough to have a big pop up congratulating Greg Raymer for his WSOP win.

In 05' i heard over the radio ( a non poker show) that a mortgage broker won the event. So a couple episodes in i knew either Steve Dan. or joe hachem won.

Its just not worth the hassle. You have to avoid every poker site, poker forum, and sportcenter for a few months. And even then u might find out by some passing bystander bringing it up or reading it on some news scroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did so well last year. Until like 5 days after the Main Event ended, I thought it was finally safe to watch SportsCenter. Sure enough, on the top 10 plays of the week, I see a dark-skinned man celebrating with the Australian flag wrapped around him. Obviously, it didn't take long to figure out which guy won once I started watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sportscenter is just one of many enemies that stand in the way of this quest. Believe me it would be more enjoyable to not know the winner b4 hand but once you factor in the things you have to do to accomplish this task it becomes not worth it fast.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:11 PM

Last year I followed it live on a webcast.

It was in many ways better than the TV footage. Every hand was discussed, and they had drop in pros offering estimates of how poeple were playing. Also, live is always better.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:54 AM

Once you go dark, you never go... bark?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tiffany Williamson wins this year.

Problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYPMF

[/ QUOTE ]

POTM!!!

SAM
Old 06-20-2006, 04:34 AM

I won't, I loved the Cardplayer coverage, also I'll pay to see the final table. Iguess it's not that expensive.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 AM

It won't be that tough but you have to avoid this forum for awhile.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:31 PM

I had been trying this. In 2003, I was several episodes into the airing. I had to go pick up a client for work and there was a TV in the lobby. She was running late, and they aired a Poker Stars commercial featuring "2003 WSOP CHAMPION CHRIS MONEYMAKER". You crapheads. Then, in 04, I hardly got anywhere before hearing that Raymer had won. So in 05 I followed the coverage live, and enjoyed it. In 06, I'm winning, so I"ve got that going for me which is nice.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:16 PM

What are you gaining?

Its one thing to know the outcome, its a complete other to see how that outcome occurred.

Reading the actions and results isn't quite the same as watching it happen.