Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Default PokerStars $55 late with AQo

Reads/History

A. Villian was VERY prone to raising FTA in MP and LP. He must have opened raised 15 times in an hour to an hour and half. He never really played unless he opened FTA.

B. Earlier, I tried to just flat him with an AQo. Flop was rags, we both checked. He checked rag turn, I tried to take a stab. He called. River was a 4 card st8 and I did not have it. He bet. I folded.

C. I never played out of control or horrible. Never really showed any weakness. Here are two hands from my play that stood out b/c I was short and sucked out people. I am giving you this history b/c I wonder if it might have any impact on his call:

C1. CO had been raising when FTA on my BB quite a bit. I had KQs in the BB after about the 3rd or 4th open on my BB. He made standard 3x raise with about 30x and I had between 15-20x. I reshoved and he called with 44 (or something small like this). Board came QQxxx

C2. I was about 9x and it folded to me on the button. I had A9o and open shoved. SB woke up with KK. I managed to 4card flush him and double up.

Neither of these hands were that close to this shove below. I just wanted to give you some history. I am pretty sure that these were my only two shoves in this tournament.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t10526)
SB (t45644)
BB (t20953)
UTG (t34436)
UTG+1 (t33955)
MP1 (t12520)
MP2 (t27532)
<font color="#C00000">MP3 (t37904)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t38396)</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t8000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t38196</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t29704 (All-In).

Flop: (t77300) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t77300) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t77300) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t77300

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP3 has 4h 4s (full house, sevens full of fours).
Hero has As Qh (three of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: MP3 wins t76808. Hero wins t492. </font>

1. How bad is his call? I personally think it is horrible. I have been wrong before though. If my thinking needs adjustment, then please enlighten me.

2. Would it look stonger in this position if I re-raised his raise 3x? What should be my line here?

I worked really hard this tourny at finding a person to reshove on. This is something that I lack in the endgame and obv need help with. I never abused this play, I thought I picked the right person, and it didnt work out.
Any advice is welcomed!

ryAn
Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: PokerStars $55 late with AQo

This hand looks pretty standard.

Your shove is fine - it's the only way to play AQo in this spot with those stacks.

Once you shove, villain is getting 1.58:1 on the call, so he only needs to be a 38.7% favorite to make this call +EV. If he put you on 22+,ATs+,ATo+, then he is actually a 40% favorite and made a good call. If you shove wider, it becomes more and more +EV.

So I don't think it's horrible ... it's boarderline, because given your history, I don't think that you would shove wieder than 22+,ATs+,ATo+ here.

Just a key hand, that went wrong...
Old 11-25-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.How bad is his call?

[/ QUOTE ]
Villain is getting roughly phi:1 or better odds on any resteal, and given your read about his stealing pattern, he must of knew that.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Would it look stronger in this position if I re-raised his raise 3x? What should be my line here?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is highly player dependent. Some players fold if you make it ~20k here. Some even fold if you minraise pf, thus choosing to preserve a healthy stack despite the given odds. Some...

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I picked the right person, and it didnt work out.

[/ QUOTE ]
And he thought: if this call succeeds i will pwn the table.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:47 PM

First of all, really like the post, it shows some good thinking etc. Please read the FAQ though. For one thing, don't post results, that's explained in the FAQ.

Just so we're clear, this hand is with the same villian as described before right? Ie you didn't just give us those hands to describe your table image right?

So you say you picked the right villian to pull this on because you KNOW you're gonna get called right? And you KNOW you're probably flipping right (because he's called you with only 44 before)?

The issue here is more that flipping now is ok, but not awesome. It's just meh. 20 BB isn't amazing, and 40+ puts you in good position to go real far. There's a little tiny bit of overlay in the pot, so I guess it's techincally +EV, but very little.

FWIW pushing AQ is VERY standard here. There's no way you can call off ~1/4 of your stack with AQ. If he folds that's awesome, and I think you do have some FE here (against a random player, not this villian). Also against a thinking player (as this guy seems to be) calling off 1/4 of your stack starts to look pretty transparent, and the truth is I'd only do it with QQ+ and try to get it in on the flop. Or something.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 PM

seems you are mad at his play. yours was correct thats all that matters. matter of fact it was standard.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Dave,

Sorry no. The villian is two different villians. But same table. I just wanted you to see what this villian may have seen prior to making his "insta-call"!

ryAn