Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: flush draw v. piejay 25/50 HU

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of player is piejay? im curious

[/ QUOTE ]

the kind who opens 95% of hands in the small blind in 6 max and doesn't fold to raise/3bets of any size
Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what kind of player is piejay? im curious

[/ QUOTE ]

the kind who opens 95% of hands in the small blind in 6 max and doesn't fold to raise/3bets of any size

[/ QUOTE ]

very accurate description, he opened 98% of hands on the btn in this match (which actually isn't that bad HU) miniraising many of them.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only way that I would ever bet this turn is if it was for value; since he is supposedly so likely to C/R bluff or semi-bluff in this spot, I can maybe see bet/calling here and looking to get paid on spades, Q or A, and possibly snapping off a continuation-bet if the board pairs. That being said, that's kind of a ridiculous move only to be made when you have a very solid grasp on the flow of the current HU game. Since it doesn't seem like you do at this point, I think that this should be a turn check 100% of the time..

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw he definitely folds turns after he peels flop a fair % of the time...i am double barreling here as a semi-bluff/bluff/value bet. It's a combo of all three because he certainly peels flop with gutters and will fold those to a second barrel more often then he will cr. if he called I was planning on repping diamonds, value betting any spade and also value betting any A or Q.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 PM

I just played him and he limped a ton of buttons and even open folded a couple. As for the hand this is really ugly, I guess I'd fold but I think the turn bet is really standard against most players b/c ur rarely getting checkraised. Maybe he's different tho, not much experience v him
Old 11-19-2007, 06:15 PM

i've played him a ton. he peels the flop very light so i think this turn bet is mandatory, as stinger says this c/r is rare. he isn't a folder so i can't see the all in being good without a specific read during the hand. i think to call or fold is just a math questino and the answer is pretty close for a call.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:35 PM

pretty sure i reluctantly fold. i woudl call sometimes though, and it's kinda hard to explain but it depends on the flow of the match, particularly if he is a little tilty, and considering the fact that piejay doesn't usually follow through on the river if he misses a draw in this spot. also, fwiw, there are ties i do call a little more lightly in situations like this against piejay because if you ever make a big hand vs him on some mediocreish suckout, he tilts like a maniac and it's worth giving up a little EV to get him off his game.

he's got a set, J9, or TQdd, TKdd, Jxss, or some 9Xdd, all with relatively equal frequency, imo. I don't really think he's folding any of his hands except for the occasional pure bluff, but that's like 5-10% of his range tops.

tc
Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 PM

isn't piejay kinda unique where his aggression ramps up remarkably from the flop to the river? most people tend to play flops/turns a lot more aggro then the river, but he tends to play the later streets much more aggro then the flop, albeit in my limited and most likely useless experience, so my initial reaction would be to call or stack off here, but much better players have disagreed so I'll defer to their judgement.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
vs pie in this spot i think u truly have 9 outs tops.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy fold vs piejay and only piejay imo (not saying i wouldnt fold it to others, but vs him I think its much much easier fold)

[/ QUOTE ]

so are u betting this turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, im betting the turn almost always pretty much for every reason you stated earlier (he peels alot, calls flop a lot then folds turn). From my experience I dont think hes doing this with a combo draw mostly due to stack sizes. Any shove from you puts him in awkward spot and I dont think he even puts himself in this spot 200bb deep with a combo draw. I think this is J9 or a flopped set the majority of the time. Take it FWIW, I have played over 15k hands with Piejay so I have an ok idea of how he plays, but as someone said earlier hes very unpredictable.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:10 PM

If you think he will bluff into you, when the 3rd spade folds, than call. I donīt like a shove here.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
vs pie in this spot i think u truly have 9 outs tops.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy fold vs piejay and only piejay imo (not saying i wouldnt fold it to others, but vs him I think its much much easier fold)

[/ QUOTE ]

so are u betting this turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, im betting the turn almost always pretty much for every reason you stated earlier (he peels alot, calls flop a lot then folds turn). From my experience I dont think hes doing this with a combo draw mostly due to stack sizes. Any shove from you puts him in awkward spot and I dont think he even puts himself in this spot 200bb deep with a combo draw. I think this is J9 or a flopped set the majority of the time. Take it FWIW, I have played over 15k hands with Piejay so I have an ok idea of how he plays, but as someone said earlier hes very unpredictable.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks guys, lots of great responses. I think, while a lot of people said check the turn, I think it's probably something closer to like 70/30 bet/check. I think he folds turn a fair amount of the time and sometimes it's even a value bet. As far as what to do when CRrd, I think this specific player calls off often enough, and checks river on diamond rivers, for example, that calling might even be profitable (assuming he pays off, which he does too much, generally).

I think betting turn here is a more clear decision than whether or not to fold to his CR, which I'm still not sure about.

Seems like shoving is horrendous.

Thanks,
dlpnyc21