Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Flopping a set on a dry board

I would rather win a $25 pot when i lead out and stack ak/aa/kq/k8/kj/k10 since villain is awful then win 2.5 when he has air. I think he has at least one of those hands more than 1 time in 10. add in bluff raises once in a while (I love raising donk bets) and i think its pretty clear leading out is the more profitable play.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:40 PM

c/c flop.

c/r turn awl-een.

alternatvely - minidonk flop and aim to b/3b all in on teh flop. Most flops miss most hands tho and unless he has a King+GK+ you get little here apart from his CB whatever line you take.

This hand is a perfect example of why autopilot calling 4BB raises with pp's and 100bb stacks purely for set value is not that +EV - and also this is a good line to take when you whiff with your pp and want to steal a pot (obv if you have little on this flop apart from an underpair then fold turn to further resistance)
Old 11-18-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/c flop.

c/r turn awl-een.

alternatvely - minidonk flop and aim to b/3b all in on teh flop. Most flops miss most hands tho and unless he has a King+GK+ you get little here apart from his CB whatever line you take.

This hand is a perfect example of why autopilot calling 4BB raises with pp's and 100bb stacks purely for set value is not that +EV - and also this is a good line to take when you whiff with your pp and want to steal a pot (obv if you have little on this flop apart from an underpair then fold turn to further resistance)

[/ QUOTE ]

this line is terrible imo. it just screams strength, its the only line that would get me to fold ak on that board. Youre basically broadcasting that you have a set
Old 11-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Hebel youre honestly wayyy over thinking this. You think that line is getting villain to fold a king, because the average villain wont. The benefit of matrix's line is that it also allows villain to c-bet. It allows him to double barrel with air if he wants and it also allows him to think his JJ/TT/QQ are good for two bets.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this line is terrible imo. it just screams strength, its the only line that would get me to fold ak on that board. Youre basically broadcasting that you have a set

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 48/20/1

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't play 48/20/1 I'd bet.

these people aren't thinking too much about what your line says imo - and they think they are being bluffed all too often.

Vs a TAG you're right - but vs a lagtard donk whos passive postflop and tends to call too much - give him a bet to call . If he has TPGK+ you take his stack usually he doesn't and this line (c/c flop c/r turn) gets 2 bets out of him and not one when he has very little quite often.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather win a $25 pot when i lead out and stack ak/aa/kq/k8/kj/k10 since villain is awful then win 2.5 when he has air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't we do both?

AK AA KQ K8 KJ are all stacking off here pretty much no matter how we play this hand - we want to max our earn as well the 9/10 times he has a lot less than that.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/c flop.

c/r turn awl-een.

[/ QUOTE ]

You is correct sir.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 PM

Since that is the dream flop for a set, I like c/c on the flop and lead out on the turn. I think betting out would be too fast for that board. What if he were to actually think about what you might have, put you on a king and then fold? That'd suck, but then again a guy with those stats probably isn't thinking about too much is he?

I think you stand to make more money leading on the turn than by C/R. Hopefully, he thinks you're bluffing and reraises big.

Also, I'm new to the board, so I'm not really sure what ya'll mean by "donk bet". Can someone explain that one to me please? I'm guessing just a pure bluff on the flop?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Donking usually means leading it i think. I try to play my sets on HU pots leading flop and c/r turn, seems to work since i cbet almost all HU pots so if they pay any attention they will usually try to take the pot away if they have piece. C/c and leading turn shows huge strenght.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donking usually means leading it i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the help. That doesn't really make sense to me, though. I think it's an experienced, more advanced play to lead with a big hand. The donks just slowplay to oblivion even on scary boards because they are moronically passive. Can anyone else explain "donk bet" a little more in-depth, or am I just overanalyzing it?