Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Re: 5/10 Live; Deep- What is my most viable line?

Shoveski all-inski. Turn is a definite raise. This guy sounds p1ss-easy to play against
Old 11-09-2007, 03:59 AM

Do you think he checks the river OOP with a better hand than yours for 1/2 effective PSB left in stack. I don't think so(except for perhaps a weird slowplayed J7, but unlikely). Stick it in, yo!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:51 AM

In a live game, you should have some kind of a read to help you with the river decision, but from your description of villain as a rich guy who's likely to play a little passive, I think you can fold to a river push unless something in his body language gives you reason to call. If it were an online game, I'd call any river but an ace under the rationale that he wouldn't try to bluff but may decide to value-bet the river with ace-high trips once he realized he was committed.

As played, with 1100 left and 2100 in the pot, I'd probably bet 850 since that's what you bet on the turn and it may look just reluctant enough to get a call from trips where a shove wouldn't.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:28 AM

It's important to bet here not only because you need to for value (which you do, I think) but also because if you're checking behind in this spot then he's going to know in the future that your bets on paired boards are only going to be top boat etc. You are almost certainly ahead, and giving people free showdowns is bad business.

I think it's not impossible for him to have an underset here, people will often play them super passively in live games. Is this in Tunica?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:34 PM

So I ended up checking behind due to a tell he gave off when the ten came, where he looked at his chips quickly and then shook his and and checked to me. I had seen him do this weird false tell thing everytime his draw came in so I decided to check behind. I think in a vacuum or in the internet this is an easy push on the river, but I had to go with my gut live. I probably should have included this read earlier, but I thought it might muddle up the analysis I would get because the value of live reads and tells in a particular spot is hard to quantify and balance against the conventional strategy if you are not there to witness their occurrence.

His small preflop raise also gave me pause on the river, since if he had a jack, I presumed that a ten would be one of his most likely side cards since his small preflop raise indicated a hand he wanted to play multiway like a run down hand.

He had QJ108 suited at least one way. He knew I was aggro and had a decent hand so his river check was intended to be a trap. Even though I lost the minimum here, this hand has still been bugging me because I feel like I may have misplayed the turn and left myself with too much money on the river which would have been an autobet if I had raised the pot on the 4th street and committed myself there. Since this guy is so easy to play against however, I thought at the time I would leave myself one more decision after the turn because I was fairly likely to be able to correctly determine whether or not to put the money in there.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 PM

I made the mistake of reading the answer before I posted, which was a shame. Delay a 'lil next time. I think most of the advice you had sucked. In a live game, you are almost never ahead on the turn and similarly on the river. Especially against that kinda tight passive guy. Most live players are suckers for the grizzley bluff but find it almost impossible to pass trips. Strange but true.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 PM

I think in general, villain would have bet the flop with top two pair or 7-7, in which case your full house on the turn is almost certainly winning. So unless you have a reason to think your opponent might have J-7, then you should pot the turn. Otherwise, you might call the turn and probably fold to another decent-sized bet on the river.

On the river, I would check behind irregardless of tells. He is probably not going to call a bet unless he can beat you (lest you think he is bad enough to call with bare trips), and if he has a full house it is probably better than yours.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2007, 08:08 PM

Sorry, misread hand again. Put my posts on ignore [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

dd
Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 PM

i like the way OP played the hand (especially a sick river check). in these spots i love to just call the turn and extract max value on the river(we are IP vs a rich donkey who has a hand he obviously likes). i think a bet/fold line on the river would be tough, but realistic. id probably have gone broke in this hand. excellent example of losing the minimum.