Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 PM

Default How do you explain raises in PLO to new players?

The bar league I play in has added one session of PLO a month and the problem I ran into is that we were not allowed to make a raise greater than what is in the pot. People thought that the maximum bet and maximum raise were the same thing (pot sized).

How do I explain that when you are raising, you can actually raise more than the pot?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: How do you explain raises in PLO to new players?

All money that has been bet/called during this round of betting is part of the pot. When it is my action and I have call a bet, I have to commit the money to call before I can raise. Therefore I'm calling the bet and raising the 'new' pot (which is the limit).

Ok, that might not be the best way to describe it.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:07 AM

I tell people pot sized raise is a 2-step process that involves calling the initial bet, and then raising the enitre pot after the bet was called. Then I do it in two steps, and put the money in to call the bet, count the entire pot, and then put that amount in as the raise.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks, both responses help.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 PM

Use the phrase "I'll see your bet, and raise it" a whole lot. Not only does this explain the process of a raise in a PL game, it also adds hilarity to (almost) any situation.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Use the phrase "I'll see your bet, and raise it" a whole lot. Not only does this explain the process of a raise in a PL game, it also adds hilarity to (almost) any situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some would call this a string bet and disallow the raise.

It's really not as complicated as some think as the other posters have pointed out. I would announce "I'm raising the pot" or "Raise, full pot size". Put out the amount required to call and then get a count to determine how much additional you need to put in for the raise.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tell people pot sized raise is a 2-step process that involves calling the initial bet, and then raising the enitre pot after the bet was called. Then I do it in two steps, and put the money in to call the bet, count the entire pot, and then put that amount in as the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly
Old 10-16-2007, 06:29 PM

It's very hard to win an argument at the table just by being right. Talk to whoever is in charge, or to the experienced players, but do it away from the table. Have a reference to show them, and if possible, cite an episode from TV, or a pot involving famous players, with the exact bet and raise sizes.

If they aren't willing to change, accept the house rules and win anyway. A house version of PLO should be a lot more profitable than a game the people know how to play.