Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Scotty Nguyen on WSOP last night

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean, everyone know's he finished 11th. Can you tell me who finished 3rd off the top of your head? I cant, because i dont particularly care.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I remember who finished third, and not only that, but I also remember the hand that knocked the guy out. It's hard not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill ask you again in 2 years. Then I'll ask you what place Scotty Nguyen placed.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:26 AM

Who remembers what has nothing to do with poker. The important issue here is whether Scotty mismanaged his position. He did -- he said he did. Fame and glory is of no value here; what is of value is what we (and more importantly, Scotty) can learn from the situation.

It wasn't the cards or the field or the TV or anything else that made Scotty go broke; it was Scotty. The one variable in poker that is always the hardest to overcome is ourselves. This is something that I hope Scotty will work on because I really hope that he doesn't see this main event as his final failure, but rather as an opportunity to see where he can improve himself as a poker player. There's no shame whatsoever in finding faults in one's self -- in fact, being able to see those faults and improve upon them is probably the most respectable thing that a poker player can do. The least respectable thing is to believe that we're finished and that we've lost some once-in-a-lifetime chance that fate has given us to do something great. Scotty's a great player, and he can do it again. If you think this is impossible, just look back at how many people would have thought it was possible for Scotty to have made it as deep (and so impressively so) as he did this main event.

Bottom line: I'd never deny Scotty the respect he deserves until and unless he gives up on himself. This year was just another opportunity to find space for improvement.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who remembers what has nothing to do with poker. The important issue here is whether Scotty mismanaged his position. He did -- he said he did. Fame and glory is of no value here; what is of value is what we (and more importantly, Scotty) can learn from the situation.

It wasn't the cards or the field or the TV or anything else that made Scotty go broke; it was Scotty. The one variable in poker that is always the hardest to overcome is ourselves. This is something that I hope Scotty will work on because I really hope that he doesn't see this main event as his final failure, but rather as an opportunity to see where he can improve himself as a poker player. There's no shame whatsoever in finding faults in one's self -- in fact, being able to see those faults and improve upon them is probably the most respectable thing that a poker player can do. The least respectable thing is to believe that we're finished and that we've lost some once-in-a-lifetime chance that fate has given us to do something great. Scotty's a great player, and he can do it again. If you think this is impossible, just look back at how many people would have thought it was possible for Scotty to have made it as deep (and so impressively so) as he did this main event.

Bottom line: I'd never deny Scotty the respect he deserves until and unless he gives up on himself. This year was just another opportunity to find space for improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus...

Scotty has AQ Hilm has 55 flop Q5x
Scotty has flush draw and misses his 37?%

either of these 2 hands dont happen then all this talk of blowing up would be gone.

Conversely, if Lam hit his OESD or scotty didnt turn the set of 9s, he couldve been out earlier than 11th

There is so much short term variance in this stuff that sometimes I think people overanalyze key moments when really the cards have a lot more to do with it than people give credit for.

Ex. Matasow getting coldecked 2 years ago , then getting sucked out on, but since he had a huge stack and was a pro he blew up right?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:21 AM

AQ hand, okay...he had one pair. True, it's easy to judge now that the hand is over, but one pair? How many of your chips should you risk with one pair with Scotty's M vs Q?

"A flush draw" -- Call the hand what it was. What would you do with Scotty's starting hand preflop? Again...why risk all of you chips in this spot?

My God, I love the guy. He made bad mistakes. He knows it. Time to make something positive of it rather than turn those mistakes into excuses.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AQ hand, okay...he had one pair. True, it's easy to judge now that the hand is over, but one pair? How many of your chips should you risk with one pair with Scotty's M vs Q?

"A flush draw" -- Call the hand what it was. What would you do with Scotty's starting hand preflop? Again...why risk all of you chips in this spot?

My God, I love the guy. He made bad mistakes. He knows it. Time to make something positive of it rather than turn those mistakes into excuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

lawl
Old 10-04-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure I have ever seen any poker player play as bad as Scotty did last night. There was no need to make the moves he tried to make last night. Play smart, get to the final table, get a good nights sleep and come back with an above average chip stack and tear everyone apart. I lost a lot of respect for Scottys game after watching him fall apart like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you are harsh. have you never played bad b4? Now sure Scotty didnt play good but no one plays good 100% of the time. Sure , Scotty should have recognized that people were playing massive pots with out big hands and he should have tightened his game up and play small pots. But for whatever reason he decided to go into bully mode. Guess what people make mistakes. get off his back.

[ QUOTE ]
I lost a lot of respect for Scottys game after watching him fall apart like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure Scotty's heartbroken to hear that some GFB has lost respect for him. el oh el. Look up his exit interview from pokernews.com and you might get some respect back.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:17 AM

I cannot believe I read through 4 pages of posts and no one has mentioned the one glaring mistake that Scotty made throughout his final day of play...

He didn't drink any beers!!! Wtf was he thinking?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:26 AM

why is no one mentioning scotty's blatant slowroll when hilm went all in with KQ against scotty's 99 on the 55T9 board?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why is no one mentioning scotty's blatant slowroll when hilm went all in with KQ against scotty's 99 on the 55T9 board?

[/ QUOTE ].

You consider that a slowroll? I think that is being a tad too critical! Hilm bet and Scotty considered his position and the fact that he could get knocked out if he called and Hilm had him beat (Scotty did not have the nuts) - he called in not an unreasonable time and Hilm turned his cards over fairly quickly, Scotty then turned over his cards in short order.

Maybe slowroll means something different to what I'm thinking of?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 AM

he made a show about counting his chips as if that made any difference whatsoever, and frankly you are wrong, in a tournament, with those stack sizes and that action, 99 is in fact the nuts, the probability of scotty folding that hand is exactly 0%