Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Mid-limit games in Las Vegas

Ok, before you tell me to use the search function and so on, I have read all the threads. I have gone to allvegaspoker.com. I just want to make absolutely sure.

I usually play 20/40 limit HE in the Bay Area (Bay 101). I am not bankrolled for higher limits than 30/60, so I haven't played the 40/80 yet. I have run pretty well at 20/40, so I don't want to jinx it.

I'll be in Las Vegas for a weekend in September. I haven't been there over a year and back then I used to play smaller stakes at 4/8 or 6/12, so I never had these questions. What can I expect to find? Obviously the lowest limit game will be a 15/30, MAYBE a 10/20. So right now I have the following rooms:

Bellagio (which says long wait times)
Wynn (which says bad game selection)
Venetian (how regular is their 15/30 and how occasional is their 30/60)
Mirage (I hear the place is a ghost town)

In addition, if you have been to SoCal or NorCal, you'll know that the people are super LAGs, love to build big pots and will gamboool. People generally are well off or (excuse the incorrectness) asian gamblers.
How does this compare to mid-limit poker in LV? Are there more regulars? Are the games tougher? I mean in San Jose betting is capped at 200$, which is why you will find people playing limit poker that have no business there. But if you are playing limit in Las Vegas, you obviously made a decision to chose that instead of the myriads of 1/2 or 2/5 NL games out there. Am I being paranoid and shouldn't worry before I reach even high limits?

Thanks for your responses.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Mid-limit games in Las Vegas

I was a tourist in Vegas last month, on a fairly busy weekend.

Bay 101 (for comparison): Most games I sat in were B- to A.

Bellagio: Several 15/30s, one 30/60 and some bigger games. Games were about a C+. I walked into a game at 2:00 PM Monday and sat down.

Wynn: 1 or 2 15/30s, they tried and failed to start a 30/60. Medium wait list. This was on a Sunday. Game was a solid B.

Venetian: They had a 15/30, I didn't sit.

Mirage: Didn't go.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 PM

ive only played the 15/30 at the bellagio n it was very LAG, pretty profitable game, but it seemed like it had alot of regulars
Old 09-06-2007, 08:43 PM

I think the Mirage is an underrated option. In my experience, they usually have at least one 10-20 and one 20-40 going, and the games are generally pretty decent. They're less likely to be crazy in the Commerce style, but I haven't seen a lot of good players there. Also, easily the best comp situation of the major rooms in Las Vegas.

Bellagio will always have at least one 15 game going, and the quality is hit or miss. I've had to wait as long as three hours, but I've also been able to sit right down immediately...really just depends on what's going on that weekend. I don't like playing at the B all that much, but as has been discussed they control the best, or at least the most consistent mid-limit action. I always hear about a 15 game at Venetian, but I never see anything above 8/16 going when I'm there. I could just be running bad, who knows.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bay 101 (for comparison): Most games I sat in were B- to A.

Mirage: Didn't go.

[/ QUOTE ]

tessarji, how does your grading system work? does "A" mean quality of opponents? or ease of making money? In the lower limits at Bay 101 I encountered the toughest poker players in my travels. Certainly far more difficult to make a buck than anywhere in Vegas at low limit.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:00 PM

i wrote a trip report about my first vegas mid limit LHE experience;

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10366786

as im from a bay area 15/30 - 40/80 LHE background, you might find something to work with in it.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 AM

I really don't like playing limit hold 'em in Vegas, I don't think the games are as good as in California. The 15-30 at the Bellagio is decent enough usually, I hear good things about the 30-60 but every time I've played it its been bad.

I always treat Vegas as a place to try fun stuff I normally don't get to play enough of like 1/2 or 2/5 NL or tournaments, etc.