Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Question for Mason and the 2+2 authors about shorthanded NL

[ QUOTE ]
You're paying more blinds per hand in 6-max. In full-ring you have 3 extra positions per orbit where you don't have to post, so you can afford to play tighter in positions 1-6 than you would in 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is wrong. Yes you should play tighter in FR but that has nothing to do with how often the blinds come around.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM

Please explain then. I was making the assumption of course that the first three positions had folded in the FR game. Could a factor be that if the first 3 positions fold in full ring, then the remaining hands are a bit more likely to be strong, because the mucked hands are unlikely to be JJ-AA, AK, or AQ?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're paying more blinds per hand in 6-max. In full-ring you have 3 extra positions per orbit where you don't have to post, so you can afford to play tighter in positions 1-6 than you would in 6-max.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This statement is wrong. Yes you should play tighter in FR but that has nothing to do with how often the blinds come around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed Miller explains this really well in his DVD set.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't keep us in suspence - What did he say?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain then. I was making the assumption of course that the first three positions had folded in the FR

game. Could a factor be that if the first 3 positions fold in full ring, then the remaining hands are a bit more likely to be strong, because the mucked hands are unlikely to be JJ-AA, AK, or AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the fact that you are going to post the blinds more often have any affect on how you play the current hand. You make the play that maximizes the Ev for the current hand.

Lets say you are on the button in both FR and 6-max and everybody folds to you. Opening with more hands in the 6-max game makes no sense just because you will have to post a blind sooner. The fact that more people folded in the FR game has a very small effect on the strenth of the remaining hands.

You play tighter in FR games because you will be up against bigger hands more often. But if the three or four first positions fold the FR game basically becomes a 6-max game.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't keep us in suspence - What did he say?

[/ QUOTE ]

You "pay the blinds" more often in 6-max, but the blinds have more equity because they are facing fewer potentially good hands. This is because there are simply fewer players ahead of the blinds, and because many of the opponents are playing weaker hands than they would in a full ring game. They play looser because they incorrectly believe that you have to play more hands, and play them more aggressively, since you pay the blinds more often.

So according to Miller, you don't necessarily loosen up early in 6-max, but you should defend your blinds more vigorously, especially the big blind, because you have more equity and because you will be getting called or raised with weaker hands, especially from the button, than in a full ring game.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 PM

I concede the point Oct0.

But is there anything to my idea that when the first three hands fold in a FR game, the remaining six hands have a slightly higher chance of being strong? You have information about 3 two card combinations -- that they were not deemed playable in early position. High cards will still be folded often, but at a lower frequency than low cards. Maybe the effect of this is too small to be worth considering.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I concede the point Oct0.

But is there anything to my idea that when the first three hands fold in a FR game, the remaining six hands have a slightly higher chance of being strong? You have information about 3 two card combinations -- that they were not deemed playable in early position. High cards will still be folded often, but at a lower frequency than low cards. Maybe the effect of this is too small to be worth considering.

[/ QUOTE ]

This effect is negligible. I think Ed Miller once stated this in one of his articles.