Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Ring Game player asking for advice

Something I've been thinking about.
I am a longtime cash played and I never pass up marginal edges. if I have TP on a flush draw board against an aggmonkey, I bet. Given that...

What are some thoughts on these situations in tournament poker.
Say you and the villain are 50 BB deep. You raise to 3 BB with Black AQ. you get called by an agg monkey in the BB who is equally deep.
FLop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Do we check sometimes in fear that he may CR push or reraise with draws a large % of the time (as well as sets obv and two pair).

Other facts: everyone else is about half your stack. and its the mid of the tournament.

Basically, are we checking more in marginally EV spots on the flop in tournaments? Sort of similar to calling in Omaha on the flop and waiting for safer turn cards.

Sorry if this question is newbish, but I'm curious about the schools of thought here.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Ring Game player asking for advice

Never passing up EV spots. Typically if I'm on the button in a large multiway pot with JT, flop comes J65hhx and First to act bets the pot and gets 4 callers, I *fold* however.

I feel as though my reverse implied odds coupled with the relative lack of strength is a clearly marginal spot - I would have to reraise or fold in this situation. Likewise with AJ I would jam, or 67.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something I've been thinking about. I am a longtime cash played and I never pass up marginal edges.
Other facts: everyone else is about half your stack. and its the mid of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]
Play the same way, don't pass up marginal edges before last 2 tables
Old 08-17-2007, 05:19 PM

I'm imagining a situation where we are much better than the field at hand, have a big stack to work with and may potentially have to face a 2-1 if he pushes.

are we saying that we never ever check behind the flop with like AQ on a Q65, 65 of hearts board to see if a safer turn card falls instead of facing a CR all in against an AGG monkey.

What about TQ?

-Joo
Old 08-18-2007, 03:30 PM

If we know that FI is on a flushdraw one should always call an all-in - no one is good enough to be able to lay down a situation where one wins 2 times out of 3. You should love to get so good odds.

One must always bet with TP - can't give free cards to someone drawing to a straight and/or flush. One should also CB with AJ/AK/AT to get them to fold thinking one has a Q.

Only sometimes when I dont hit the flop I check - especially if I have position and there are 2 or more players in the hand - and the flop looks like something one of the other player might have hit.

The other time I check is when I have QQ and hit top-set and want to give the other players in the hand chance to catch up.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:20 PM

i check a lot with tp hands (like the qt, q65hh flop) in h-up situations. my thinking is that i wont get 3 bets while being ahead anyway so id rather widen his range to get 1 or 2 bets?